Long distance relationship with fish

BettaVishVish

Knock..knock, hello..

I'm a new comer to this forum. A friend of mine suggested me to join this forum because I think he gets tired answering my questions :).

I am currently has a long distance relationship with fish particularly betta. I said this long distance relationship because I develop a 'connection' to fish through pictures, videos & friend's stories.

Eventually I'll have a tank with nice colorful fish on my own :).

As a start ..I'll have a fluval edge (size probably between 1 - 2 gallon). The problem is...I don't know how to set up a tank & to take care of it.

Could someone tell me or give me a good information about:

- how to set up a small tank

- how to clean it & change the water

- what type of fish I should put with betta

- plants

- decoration (ie. any suggestion what i should use without being too crowded?)

By the way..I use soft water at home. Will this be a problem to fish? Any advice what I should do? I really want to have the fish asap...but I also want to make sure that I can set up a healthy environment for my fish :)

Thank you for your help.

welcome to the forums :P

The Fluval Edge is actually 6 gallons so its a decent size for your betta.

You will need to read up about the nitrogen cycle so that you understand how the aquarium system works. Setting up your tank should be pretty easy and your friend should be able to cycle it fairly quickly with media from their tank. Wash out the gravel that you buy and put it into the tank and maybe get a couple small pieces of driftwood in the tank or some small stones. If your friend has plants I would recommend getting some from them as it will definitely be nice to have in your tank but the lighting in that Fluval might be an issue. Once you are setup and cycled you will probably need to get a gravel vacuum in order to clean the substrate out once in a while and will need to change 30-40% of the water out once a week or two depending on how many fish you have in there. I would suggest a few pygmy cories, a couple of otocinclus and maybe 3-4 of something small like Endlers or some other type of really small fishy. This stocking might be over the limit of what that little tank can handle though.

No clue about soft water... hopefully someone else here can help you with that! Anyone else know something about soft water? I am curious about this as well!

Good luck!