This sucks.....Will this linger......?

Jay Huska

I aquired some Ruby red cichlids from a friend, took off to work for 9 days and came home to find cloudy eyes, and everything from some sort of fungus or velvet er something, to clamped fins or rot. Water is good......So I started a broad spectrum antibitic and a fungicide. My question is....IF I get this under control does this junk live in the tank, and effect new fish etc?

Once under control it shouldn't linger. salt seems to aid in the regrowing of fins. It sounds like your fish experienced some form of stress. Can you be specific as to which tests your ran and which test kit? Also what temperature does your tank run at and who are the tank mates? Any power failures?

I tested with an API test kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all are good.Added salt. The tank mates are 8 electric yellows, 8 Copadichromis azureus and 2 plecos and the 8 german ruby reds. It started with the azureus scratching off the bottom, then the cloud eye started with them, and then all hell broke loose. Got home to find to find some sick fish. Some still look crappy, most look way better, not sure if I should run the meds longer than the 6 days it says for the meds. Just afraid that if not everyone is good it will come back. Also thinking about buying a 10 gallon tankk and putting the 2 sick looking guys in it and contunuing the meds with them only.....new to sick fish, any help is appreciated