Hard white layer on top of ornament

d0hb0y

I've noticed that there is a hard white film/layer on top of my ornaments in my 38G tank. It looks like I can scratch it off with my fingernail and/or toothbrush. I've also noticed that my ammonia levels are around 0.5ppm regularily. I've done daily water changes and the ammonia won't go down. Could this be related to the white film/layer on the ornament? I've attached two pictures so you all can see what i'm talking about.

post-4553-126592144201_thumb.jpgpost-4553-126592147644_thumb.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Timbruun for the tip on testing ammonia on my tap water... I did that and got some interesting results.

When I got my 38G tank, I tested my tap water first. Back in December it read 0ppm for ammonia. Today it reads 0.5ppm. I tested all the taps in my apartment and I get the same reading. I tested the water in my 10G puffer tank with plants and it reads perfect, 7.8pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and roughly 5ppm nitrate. But my 38G reads 7.8pH, 0.5ppm Ammonia (this week it sometimes shoots up to 1), 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. About 2 weeks ago I removed the carbon in my filter and replaced it with some plastic scrubbers (sorry can't remember the name right now). I'm confused on what to do now, should I start using an ammonia removal chemical? I didn't think that removing the carbon in my HOB would cause this ammonia problem, should I put it back? I have a bottle of Seachem Prime, will that help with the ammonia?

Please help!

Leave the carbon out of your filter. You should be using prime with every water change already. Unless you are using a different water conditionner, but most find Prime to be the better one to use.

I wouldn't use any chemicals to remove ammonia other than prime.

Right now you should just monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and keep them as close to zero as you can by doing water changes. Obviously you won't be able to get the ammonia below 0.5, but if it gets higher than that then do a water change.

I don't think this would have cause any problems with your ornment but you still need to make sure your water parameters are under control. 0.5 is quite high coming out of the tap.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm amazed that the ammonia would jump like that in a month. I have been using BA's water conditioner but I bought a bottle of prime last week and was going to switch over to it when the BA water conditioner was done. I'll start using it tomorrow.

I've been monitoring the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels for the last week, i've also been doing daily water changes (i am seriously thinking of getting a Python system, my arms are tired from all those water changes this week, plus it takes ALONG time).

I'm just scared that the ammonia levels won't go down and i'll have to take other (more expensive) measures to get this tank ready for angelfish.

I'm pretty sure I've actually got a used python that I don't use hidden somewhere. You could get that off me if you're interested. Prime is supposed to be much better at making the ammonia that is there less harmful to the fish.

Does this tank have any fish in it? Is it cycled? Are you cycling it? You could get some mature/cycled media from someone and that would give a huge headstart and take care of the ammonia fairly quickly. Which I also could supply you with.

If there are no fish in the tank then just use up your BA's conditioner and start with the prime when you're done.

About the Python... I would definitely be interested in the python, i'll pm you.

The tank is cycled, and it does have fish in it (6 Zebra Danios and 5 Cherry Barbs, unfortunately a few weeks ago I came home to my 6th cherry barb stuck in the intake :( ). I've just been waiting for the tank to mature more before I get the angelfish my wife and kids desperately want.

I'll switch over to Prime as of tomorrow.

Anyone else have some comments/opinions?

If the tank is cycled than if should take care of 0.5 ammonia really without too much of a problem. Try stop the daily water changes and see what happens with the parameters. If you're doing daily changes than you're adding 0.5 ammonia daily also. So just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get any higher.

Also make sure you're not feeding too much. That will cause problems also.

Thanks for the info, i was thinking of letting the water sit for a day or so then taking a reading.

What really baffles me is my puffer tank uses the same water and it has no ammonia. The 10G puffer tank is fairly stocked with Java moss, java fern and anubias. Do you think it might have something to do with the plants?

Every sunday I test all my tanks and do a water change (20 - 40%). Last Sunday I tested both tanks and they were both ok (0ppm for ammonia). On Tuesday I tested the water and the 10G was perfect, but the 38G ammonia went up to about 1ppm. I immediately did a water change and that's when I noticed the white film/layer on the ornaments. I've been testing both tanks every day and the 10G with the plants & puffers are excellent, but the 38G keeps showing ammonia so I've been doing daily water changes (about 40%).

I haven't tested the water in the 38g today, but I will probably tomorrow to see what's going on.

You said you recently removed your charcoal from your filter and changed it to plastic scrubbies. When you did this you removed a portion of your good bacteria. Depending on your amount of charcoal it could have been lots of bacteria in your filter. Your puffer tank filter was untouched so it can handle the 0.05 ammonia from your tap as the bacteria uses it. Your 38 gallon bacteria level is not there yet. Give it time, if you are super worried you can use something like Stability to boost your filter bacteria levels. Sounds like a mini cycle-keep testing. Good luck! Sorry don't know what the film is.

Well I tested the water this afternoon in all my tanks.

10G puffer tank is doing great, did a 30% water change (Man they are messy eaters)

38G tank, same results, ammonia 0.5ppm, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, ph is consistant 7.8

I was doing a water change on the 38G and when I was filling the tank up with my new python (thanx timbruun!!!) I noticed a zebra danio floating belly up in the current. I'm not too sure when or how he died, but it was quite unsettling, I hate losing any fish.

Guppygirl, I hope you're right about the mini-cycle. I bought some Stability today and started using both Prime and Stability in all my tanks.

Thanks again for everyones help!