Typical lenght of time for eggs to hatch.

Dharmie

I have'nt had cichlids for a bit and I am just slowly getting back in to them. I would say 3 to 5 days for the eggs to hatch and 18 to 28 days before they spit. I did have a yellow lab hold for 32 days once, her head looked like it was ready to explode. I moved her over to a ten gal tank and she puked them out within 5 minutes, and wanted nothing more to do with them (except maybe lunch).Congrats on the spawns, hope this helps.

The eggs don't really hatch like a chicken with a discarded shell.

The egg develops eyes and then a tail. What seems to be the egg eventually becomes the belly.

For mouth brooders the egg often becomes a "wiggler" at about 10 days and free swimming at about 18 days but it varies from species to species.

Oh noooo!! I fed my fish some blood worms today, but they proved too tempting for the one with eggs. I seen her grab a bit of food in her mouth, then SPIT OUT all of her eggs. The other fish promptly ate them. I was sooo upset! lol I still have the other female with the fry in her mouth, so i wont be feeding them those worms for a while! haha

Edited by Dharmie

I find that letting the mom hold to full term, will give you fry that are stronger and more on the healthy side.

After all, the people in Africa don't go wading into the lakes to strip the females of fry.

I was thinking the same thing.

Feels like id be violating the poor thing, making her spit out her babies! lol