Moss Balls

BettaVishVish

the ones in my tank tend to sit 'lightly' on the gravel, if that makes any sense. they aren't solid and have some space between the filaments of algae that they are composed of. when i squish my balls (lol!) they compress to about half their size. water flow in a well filtered tank will keep the balls moving a little bit on their own, which will keep the underside from going brown. for example, my standard 55 gallon has an aquaclear 110 hob and a penguin biowheel dual output (the largest model). plenty of current!

I read a bit and apparently because they photosynthesize they are able to produce bubbles on themselves which causes them to float and move around the tank. Sounds cool. Was trying to get some from someone who posted on here recently, was promised them but they didnt follow through on a meeting to do the transaction. Hoping that might change soon.. :D

the ones in my tank tend to sit 'lightly' on the gravel, if that makes any sense. they aren't solid and have some space between the filaments of algae that they are composed of. when i squish my balls (lol!) they compress to about half their size. water flow in a well filtered tank will keep the balls moving a little bit on their own, which will keep the underside from going brown. for example, my standard 55 gallon has an aquaclear 110 hob and a penguin biowheel dual output (the largest model). plenty of current!

I only have them for couple days..and I love them. That's good that you mentioned to not let them sit in the same place all the time. I just shake the tank a little bit and it's fun to watch them bouncing :)

I read a bit and apparently because they photosynthesize they are able to produce bubbles on themselves which causes them to float and move around the tank. Sounds cool. Was trying to get some from someone who posted on here recently, was promised them but they didnt follow through on a meeting to do the transaction. Hoping that might change soon.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip. I just moved them to a place where they can get sunlight to help the photosynthesis to occur :)

Yes, they do have bubbles and can move around or float.

I read a bit and apparently because they photosynthesize they are able to produce bubbles on themselves which causes them to float and move around the tank. Sounds cool. Was trying to get some from someone who posted on here recently, was promised them but they didnt follow through on a meeting to do the transaction. Hoping that might change soon.. :D

One of the things I like about being a member of the local fishclub, it seems to be a somewhat reliable way to meet up with people to do product exchanges. I spent a few too many times waiting in McDonals parking lots for people who never came.

I wonder if there will be balls at the auction.

oh lmao syno, too funny!!!!

marimo moss balls do not 'get out of control'. they grow rather slowly and tend to keep their spherical shape if cared for properly. i've had my three for about a year now and they have not done anything other than double in size and they are an awesome grazing ground for shrimp and small snails.

i firmly believe that having a few marimos in your tank can help to control algae, and have read that on various sites too. i know, funny that algae would control algae, lol, but if the marimos are taking the excess nutrients and such out of the water there would be nothing or very little left for 'normal' algae to take hold. i should have mega algae in my planted tank, i overfeed, i leave the lights on too long, my nitrates get a bit high a bit too often...... but no algae!

Some complain if you trim or they breakup they get in the gravel and nooks then keep growing much like hair algae.