Moss Balls

BettaVishVish

you're talking about marimo moss balls, right?

if they're green, they're good and healthy. you don't have to do anything special really, just make sure they don't sit in one place in the tank too long. when you do water changes give them a little squeeze and make sure all the detritus is off them. that's about all you have to do to your balls, lol.

I Have Moss Balls In My Fluval Edge And Well I Dont Add Anything Too It I Infact Cut Them In Half And Pulled Them Out Abit And Draped It Over A Few Rocks And Now They Have Consumed The Rocks And Growing Rather Fast ... I Do My Weekly Water Change Using Prime ... And Thats About It ... I Let My New Shrimp Pick Through It ... IMHO I Think You Could Neglect Mossballs And They Would Thrive Lol....

Blake

I'm not searching Ebay for balls.

Sounds like a fun think to try in the tank, but I'll avoid asking about getting a pair.

Looks like from searching they can get out of control, but that should be managable if I do any trimming in a bucket.

Edited by T Dawg

oh lmao syno, too funny!!!!

marimo moss balls do not 'get out of control'. they grow rather slowly and tend to keep their spherical shape if cared for properly. i've had my three for about a year now and they have not done anything other than double in size and they are an awesome grazing ground for shrimp and small snails.

i firmly believe that having a few marimos in your tank can help to control algae, and have read that on various sites too. i know, funny that algae would control algae, lol, but if the marimos are taking the excess nutrients and such out of the water there would be nothing or very little left for 'normal' algae to take hold. i should have mega algae in my planted tank, i overfeed, i leave the lights on too long, my nitrates get a bit high a bit too often...... but no algae!

To all..

Reading all the comments made me smile and laugh 04.gif

I first saw this from Youtube..and thought that this moss ball looks cool and I could imagine having it in my Fluval Edge. I don't know anything about this moss but I took the chance to get 3 balls from Tank A Lot. It cost me $9.99 each. I now think that I could get a cheaper price from ebay...but oh well too late now.

Thank you for all the info & advice in how to take care them. I put them in a 1 gal container for now. Once I have my tank delivered & set up, I will place them and hopefully my betta loves them.

All this talk about balls makes me want to go buy them for my tank.

Actually me too, sounds pretty beneficial; but would flourish excel be a killer?

BTW, how doesn't the bottom die off? Unless turned daily, I don't see how the bottom gets any energy...?

Edited by Iceturf