Flowerhorn at big als

rED O

many hobbyists don't realize how much effort & time it takes to get a single high quality FH, let alone a masterpiece.

I used to breed FH, I don't know if anyone that I gave them to as feeders grew any of them out, but out of 10,000+ fry not a single one made it passed the crayfish tank. What the crayfish did'nt eat went for a soak in the porcelain whirlpool. I will however go down and check this fish out.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently one day, someone saw a few Chinese characters on the side of the fish...(they may have been drunk or it might be just like seeing mother Theresa on the side of a taco) but that is also supposed to be a desired trait in a FH. :unsure: kinda lucky?? :wacko:

Yea they call this trait a "flowerline" and before the flowerhorn bubble burst (they used to cost A LOT more than even now) if someone bred a fish that had flower line that had what looked like chinese character(s) in it, theyd have one hellovan expensive fish. Also the big hump on the head (kok) represents luck and/or wealth which is why its desirable

I wanted to take pics by my cam phone isnt good enough, hopefully we will get some up here!

Business making profit, that's just criminal?

LMAO!

I mean really, the nerve of them, and with all that free rent, free utilities, and

staff that work there for free. :rolleyes:

$500 is certainly not a ridiculous price for a high end FH, Dennis at Golds told me that he turned down 2K for one of his display FH's. Not saying that the one at BA's is a show specimen, but in the grand scheme of things $500 is not exactly big money for some of the premium FH's out there.

I guess all I can say is never, ever, buy an HDMI cable if large markup is a bad thing (my last one was $6...), and don't get me started on bike markups. Or food...

I do not think this is the proper venue to discuss the ethics of any stores pricing.

I think we need to skirt the line between a vendor review, and general discussion on wholesale vers retail pricing.

If I talk about my auto trade in (I was paid $9,000 for and they listed for $16,000, took $12,00) and bash the industry markups or possible mistakes on my car as apposed to bashing a specific dealership. Of couse I thought I could get more privatly and could not be bothered, and they figured out what they needed to do with the price to get it moved.

And I hear somefish stores make deals, and I'm sure BA gives fishclub members discounts...

Edited by T Dawg

Apparently one day, someone saw a few Chinese characters on the side of the fish...(they may have been drunk or it might be just like seeing mother Theresa on the side of a taco) but that is also supposed to be a desired trait in a FH. :unsure: kinda lucky?? :wacko:

Ahh, the benifit of the good tea!

I did go back and see the fish again as i needed a filter part, and ide have to say his body shape is really nice and thick as mentioned by someone else. But again, the fading is just terrible. Its difficult to make a price judgement also because in comparison to what they have been selling at 200 perhaps he is worth more, but thats not to say he or any of them are fairly or rightfully priced.

I have seen one fish priced @ the $150 ish mark there that IMO was worth it. Perhaps a lot of it comes from inexperience and lack of flowerhorn specific knowledge,and these prices fly with customers for the exact same reason.

Anyways, i figured ide post some pics of a true masterpeice, and this isnt even at the TOP, but he has been raised by a fish keeper and not large scale breeder, so i found it more fitting to add here, you can see here, that the fish at the store would have a long way to come before it hits the 'amazing' mark.

Enjoy!

Edited by Bluecan