Need help stocking a relatives 55g tank

Crystal

My grandma has inherited a 55g tank from a friend (with no fish). She has never kept fish before and needs very easy, peaceful fish (unfortunately, she is too far away for me to help easily). As her vision is going the fish need to be at least 3-4" big, preferably bigger. And this is where my knowledge slips away, I know of many fish under 3" which are great community tank residents, but it does not help me here (I also do not know much about most cichlids and their habits).

So which fish get over 3" and are peaceful, preferably colorful, and can live in a 55g for life? No angelfish though. She doesn't have much money, so she won't pay much for fish (probably not over $4 per fish) - which unfortunately rules out most rainbowfish.

I am breeding Albino Bristlenose and can give her one or two, which takes care of bottom feeders.

All I can really think of are congo tetras and giant danios... Maybe silver dollars, but I do not have any experience with them.

Perhaps a dozen giant danios with a center piece fish?

Any ideas? I seem to have run out...

My grandma has inherited a 55g tank from a friend (with no fish). She has never kept fish before and needs very easy, peaceful fish (unfortunately, she is too far away for me to help easily). As her vision is going the fish need to be at least 3-4" big, preferably bigger. And this is where my knowledge slips away, I know of many fish under 3" which are great community tank residents, but it does not help me here (I also do not know much about most cichlids and their habits).

So which fish get over 3" and are peaceful, preferably colorful, and can live in a 55g for life? No angelfish though. She doesn't have much money, so she won't pay much for fish (probably not over $4 per fish) - which unfortunately rules out most rainbowfish.

I am breeding Albino Bristlenose and can give her one or two, which takes care of bottom feeders.

All I can really think of are congo tetras and giant danios... Maybe silver dollars, but I do not have any experience with them.

Severums would work if you can find some, & they're available in a few different colors.If you buy them small you can get them fairly cheap, or you could try your luck at the aquarium club auctions.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/first.php .... I am trying to price the fish in each of these 3 set-ups ... I will let you know the prices if I find them .... perhaps someone from here can give us an idea on the price of each set up .... I get all mixed up with the technical names ...As old gals ... we get cconfused wayyyy to easily .... if you get prices please let me know as well

Hi .... I sent you a Pm as well as this link ....

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/first.php .... I am trying to price the fish in each of these 3 set-ups ... I will let you know the prices if I find them .... perhaps someone from here can give us an idea on the price of each set up .... I get all mixed up with the technical names ...As old gals ... we get cconfused wayyyy to easily .... if you get prices please let me know as well

Hi .... I sent you a Pm as well as this link ....

Interesting link, as it reminds me of the kribs. I think their stocking is bit off though - I think a breeding pair of convicts in a 30g would likely kill anything in the same tank. They also seem to have too plecos per tank for my way of thinking.

I think a pair of severums might be a bit much for a 55g tank, they get about as long as the tank is wide...

Hmmm...

Maybe 18 Giant danios with a pair of Krib? Lots of driftwood, caves, and easy low light plants?

Any other ideas?

Rainbow fish: Boesemani Rainbow (Melanotaeniidae boesemani)

Red Rainbow (Glossolepis incisus)

Banded Rainbow (Melanotaenia trifasciata)

Botias: Clown loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) Always popular with neat markings and personality you can't help but love.

Zebra loach (Botia striata) not very common

Characins: Headstanders: Anostomus (Anostomus ternetzi) NOTE: This particular species of fish is a great community fish and is so cool with it's peculiar head standing habit.

Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) Best kept in groups of three or more.

Tetras: Diamond tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri)

Buenos Aries tetra (Hyphessobrycon anisitsi)

Cyprinids: Bala shark (Balantiocheilus melanopterus)

Loricariidae: Farowella Catfish (Farlowella acus (SP)) Cool looking and a superb algae eater.

There are more so I'll add as I think of them.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Here Are A few more:

Labyrinth fish: Paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) Some might frown on this one but I think with the general size of the tank mates they would be with, they might make a pretty addition.

Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)

Opaline Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)

Gold Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)

Sunset Gourami (Colisa labiosus) Nice if you can find them.

Freshwater loaches: Kuhli loach (Pangio kuhlii)

Still thinking.....

Catfish: Upsidedown feather-fin catfish (Synodontis eupterus) one of my favorites.

Striped Rafael (Platydoras costatus) Provide a burrowing spot for this fish such as 1/8" gravel or sand.

I think a pair of severums might be a bit much for a 55g tank, they get about as long as the tank is wide...

I have never seen adult severums exceed 8 inches. A pair of severums and a couple BN plecos IMO would be fine in a 55 gal tank with good filtration.

With filtration for 300+ gallons and conservative feeding habits, I successfully kept 2 breeding pairs of severums in a 55 gal tank without issues.

Botias: Clown loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) Always popular with neat markings and personality you can't help but love.

Characins: Headstanders: Anostomus (Anostomus ternetzi) NOTE: This particular species of fish is a great community fish and is so cool with it's peculiar head standing habit.

Loricariidae: Farowella Catfish (Farlowella acus (SP)) Cool looking and a superb algae eater.

Just my input, the Leporinus, bala sharks and clown loaches will all get big (12" for the leporunus and 16" for the bala shark and clown loach). Clown loaches also do best in groups as well.

Just my input, the Leporinus, bala sharks and clown loaches will all get big (12" for the leporunus and 16" for the bala shark and clown loach). Clown loaches also do best in groups as well.

True that they do get to a fair size but tank size governs the RATE OF GROWTH so it would be a while (most likely years) before they would have to be switched out.

Yes, the clowns would be better if there are three or more....Sorry for the oversight.

".......but tank size governs the RATE OF GROWTH....."

so not true. keep a fish in too small a tank for its adult size and it will become stunted. plain and simple.

I agree, which is why I said for life. She won't upgrade, and likely will never think of trading them in - or she will like them too much to trade them in.

I have never had severums before, any insights from anyone with personal experience with them? A longer lived fish is more what she is after. I don't suppose half a dozen giant danios would live unmolested with a breeding pair?

My experience with severums is, they only get aggressive when breeding. My pairs chased anything in the tank away,(fish,plants,hands and so on) For the most part they look big and mean, but they are babies. I had mine taking pellets from my fingers. They also come in a few varieties (green, gold, red shoulder, and depending on where you go they have them labeled as red streak, red line, or red sotted golds. If you're going with just 2 fish rather than a pair,2 severums and a couple BN plecos would go great in a 55 gal tank. As far as lifespan goes, I've had them from itty bitty tiny fry to full grown in about a year. The longest I kept severums for is about 5 years before selling them.

".......but tank size governs the RATE OF GROWTH....."

so not true. keep a fish in too small a tank for its adult size and it will become stunted. plain and simple.

While it is possible to stunt a fishe's or any animal's growth under extreme stress, you cannot change the genetic predisposition of a fish or animal by limiting the habitat. You only change the rate of growth. This I will stress, is a generality, as there are instances under extreme conditions where growth has been affected by habitat.

The more physical output plus the food consumed equals rate of growth. The less a fish or any animal for that fact moves, the less they consume and the less they develop (growth), that is a fact that was drilled into me when I was taking my B.Sc. in biology.

However, that being said, there are variances within individual specimens of the same species that allow for one individual to either excel or be redundant within a certain environment (survival of the fittest).

I agree given the criteria on this thread that certain species of fish that I listed may not be the best choice. That is where research and individual choice become important.

Sorry, I missed the part in the original postin about keeping them for life.

• 1 month later...

Here a few larger community fish that are not Angels, and are easy to care for and hard to miss...I know my mother (also a grandma) loves the 55g I have set up for her with the following...

Kissing Gourami - These get to a nice size and are bright pink.

Moonlight Gourami - These grow larger than the typical three spots and are bright silver.

Snakeskin Gourami - These are the bigger still, and get there quickly; but are darker green/brown in color.

Red Tailed Shark - One of these will look tremendous; especially when it reaches full size, you should see 3-4" inside of a year.

Clown Loaches - Preferably keep four or more; with adequate water changes they will grow to ~4" reasonably quickly then the growth slows quite substantially through about 7". If you are concerned about them being stunted or getting too large; sell them off 4-5yrs down the road and get a new batch, they are never difficult to find homes for.