Is he gonna be okay?

Tots

Hi all,

Just got my first pet fish yesterday. He's a crowntail betta and his name is Tio. I just fed him for the first time this morning and he kinda ate 2 pellets but he spat them out after a few chews. Is that normal? Other than that, I think he's doing great. He's swimming up and down the tank and fluffs up for me every now and again. He was in total curious mode too when I took out the leftovers. -ham-

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks much!

perhaps he's never been fed pellets before. did you get him from a store or a private breeder?

he may still be getting used to his new home, give him a day or two to settle in. keep trying to feed the pellets, he'll get used to them. what other foods do you have for him? bettas (and all other fish) should have a variety to eat, not just one food. try frozen bloodworms and other frozen foods such as brine shrimp, he'll love them. don't feed dehydrated foods (such as freeze-dried bloodworms) too often as they can cause constipation.

and post photos! would love to see what Tio looks like.

perhaps he's never been fed pellets before. did you get him from a store or a private breeder?

he may still be getting used to his new home, give him a day or two to settle in. keep trying to feed the pellets, he'll get used to them. what other foods do you have for him? bettas (and all other fish) should have a variety to eat, not just one food. try frozen bloodworms and other frozen foods such as brine shrimp, he'll love them. don't feed dehydrated foods (such as freeze-dried bloodworms) too often as they can cause constipation.

and post photos! would love to see what Tio looks like.

Oh, I got Tio from the pet store. I actually really wanted to get a halfmoon from a private breeder but I saw Tio and a bunch of other guys in those little cups at the store when I was looking around for aquarium stuff. Sounds silly but I felt really bad for the little guys so my friend and I got one each.

Anyhow, I just have betta pellets on me right now but I have a friend from work who's going to give me some of his betta food cause he oreders them by the bucket or something. He's an uber fish fanatic with literally a basement full of bettas, sting rays, and all sorts of other fish.

Tio's doing way better this morning I think. He ate one of the two pellets this time. He sapt out the first one a couple of times but he was able to finish it so yay! :thumbs: Got him some floating plant thingies from Petsmart yesterday and I think he likes it.

Thanks much for the input :smokey:

Oh! And I tried to upload a pic of him yesterday with my original post but my computer says the file's too big :unsure:

I know a couple of my bettas grab the pellets and spit them back out but eventually eat them. I think its because the pellets are too hard and hard for them to swallow. They eventually get softer and the bettas will finish them off.

Oh no. Do you think it'll help if I try cutting the pellets in half? Though I'm not sure if that's really possible cause they're really small

Thanks much :D

• 2 months later...