Kribs

Raven

I would like more info on these guys as for what tank mates will work in a 20/29 Gallon. The cookie cutter articles on cichlid forum says Pelvichromis pulcher - 1 pair, Synodontis nigriventris "Upside-down Cat" - 4, Nann. unitaeniatus "1-lined African Tetra" - 6. What else would work? And is there any other more detailed info on them?

I have kept kribs (P.pulcher) with everything from neons to bloodthroats without any problems. It's pretty much hit and miss. If you are going to have a community tank, don't add the kribs first. They are a cichlid but are also a good community fish, and will get aggressive when breeding.

Kribs, aside from angels are THE Bread & Butter cichlid, and can be kept with almost anything. The cookie cutter article is for a biotope - all fish coming from the same area. Like Tom said, get pretty much everything else you want before the kribs, and you should be fine.

OK, get tank mates first then the Kribs. After i pick up the tank from you i'll start cycling right away and use their tank mates as testers. Hopefully there will be a nice pair at the show since i don't think i'll find kribs at the pet store. So it mainly tetras then? what could i use as clean up crew other then cats?

Edit: would the numbers still be the same? Could you guys just give me a few examples and i'll try and decide from there.

Edit: Oh, and what kind of set up do they like? I was thinking of planting it with some java fern, and maybe something else if its cheap at a pet store to help with the cycling (i was planning on getting the fern at the show) with the driftwood Darkangel offered (it would be awesome it i could get the ferns to latch onto it) and put in some small Terracotta pots (3inch) but i'm not exactly sure on the size. Sorry of all the edits, i didnt want to double post.

Edited by Raven

Did some more reading and the set up sounds good. The Londonderry PJ's has a good selection of fish right now. I can even get the Kribs there ^.^ Still don't know what to put them with barbs, tetra, danios. I was hoping to go with what ever if most colourful. Cherry Bards, Neon Tetras, Tiger Bards, Rainbow Danios. Crap I don't know >.< what the most colourful in your opinion? I and going to let my 3 almost 4 year old pick to schoolers in the end. Can they go good with BN PLecos? Used to have on ages ago, she was only 3 inches or so, maybe she was a dwarf? or is that the right size for them, Blah, more reading >.>

Did some more reading and the set up sounds good. The Londonderry PJ's has a good selection of fish right now. I can even get the Kribs there ^.^ Still don't know what to put them with barbs, tetra, danios. I was hoping to go with what ever if most colourful. Cherry Bards, Neon Tetras, Tiger Bards, Rainbow Danios. Crap I don't know >.< what the most colourful in your opinion? I and going to let my 3 almost 4 year old pick to schoolers in the end. Can they go good with BN PLecos? Used to have on ages ago, she was only 3 inches or so, maybe she was a dwarf? or is that the right size for them, Blah, more reading >.>

I've got 2 different strains of kribs. I keep one with angels, dwarf crenicichla, and rainbows. The other is almost alone with grow out red shoulder severums and amano shrimp.

But you can keep them with pretty much any community fish.

And if you wait till March 28th, there usually are kribs at the auction.

Yah, i'm going to the show just to see if there's some there. but with the fish at the pet store i know i don't want to spend more then $15 on a pair. Was thinking though, would it be better to get one at the show and one at the store so that if they do breed they would be completely unrelated?

Chances of paying more than $15 a pair at the show... it really depends. Most Kribs at teh ACE auction are not your typical P. pulcher - most often a type of P. taeniatus - and are usually sold as a group of juvies. Each bag will typically be related; however, in the wild that's typically how they pair up. Researches have found that kribs pair with siblings to ensure the best genes (their own, of course) are passed on.

I just read the study a year or two ago. It seems they'd prefer to pair up with a known gene pool than risk poor genetics. Of course, display and courtship still have their play, but the study showed that most kribs paired w. sibs.

I just read the study a year or two ago. It seems they'd prefer to pair up with a known gene pool than risk poor genetics. Of course, display and courtship still have their play, but the study showed that most kribs paired w. sibs.

I also read the study on kribs, and I have put it to the test. I mixed kribs from 2 seperate bloodlines(1 male and a choice of 6 females), they did pair up after a while but the survival rate of the fry was only 4%. When the fry reached maturity, they looked like kribs but the color was washed out a bit. If they paired up with sibs, the survival rate of the fry was on average 70%, and the coloration was more enhanced. Overall the offspring had a much nicer apperance. The only real problem I had with kribs was the albino's. The males prefer to mate with a regular colored female and vice versa. I had a male albino pair up with a regular colored female and the dominant gene was albino (all fry were born albino).Getting any of them to survive was the hard part (7 attempts and they only made it 1/2 inch).

Wow. OK it'll all depend on the price then. Can;t wait till the 28th, ( that is the day of the auction right) and i hope the tank will be cycled by then.

• 5 weeks later...

Well i got 4 juvi P pulchers at the show and now i'm having trouble sexing them. I think i might have all boys, but i just can't tell. I've been looking at them trying to compare fins, but i don't really see any differences. Haven't read anything in regards to what size/age they will start breeding at either. All info would be a great help. Oh and once they pair bond, how will i know who is bonded to who?