Python woes...

chloeclose

OK, I'm new to sand as a substrate and whenever I do a water change I end up sucking up a fair bit of sand. I even took the uh... 'big green tube thing' off the end of the python and just use the hose but it seems like there is not enough suction to pull up the waste...

What am I doing wrong? Or does anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to share??? :well:

Karen - what length of hose is on your python, 25, or 50? Usually if suction is a problem, it has to do with the water pressure in your lines. I never use the large vacuum portion, just the small hose end so I can get into the smaller nooks & holes, and I hover it approx 1" above the sand. Any closer & I end up sucking up sand.

It's the 50 footer Neil... is that what's causing the problem?

That AND the fact that the water pressure sucks in this house??? How do I overcome that?

I do try and just hover it over the sand about an inch like you said but it just doesn't pick up the crap like I think it should. So then I get too close and OOPS there goes a bunch of black sand down the tube!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help! :)

If it sucks up sand, then it must have enough pressure in the line. Try swirling the water a bit just above the waste, and see if that doesn't work. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I think you'll find it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

You can always place a fine mesh kitchen stainer in your sink to catch any sand until you get a better feel for it.

So what you're REALLY saying is that I'm just incompetent?? :boxer: :lol:

Well OK then, hopefully I will get better at this... :rolleyes: I'll try swirling the water a bit too and see if that makes any difference.

You can always place a fine mesh kitchen stainer in your sink to catch any sand until you get a better feel for it.

Ah... now THAT'S a good idea! Thanks Neil! :)