demasoni

robin

Hi all, needing some help here. I have a 30 gal with 16 demasoni in it. They are good stock (mostly from fairdeal). They came healthy, have been treated for parasites, treated with polyguard, melafix, pimafix, and all the goods. The water parameters have all been checked over and over. The tank looks good, the 2 loaches in the tank are thriving. They eat nls. They are not beating up on each other.

Question!! Why, oh, why, do they slowly die off, one at a time, once a month or so? I have gone over treatments with Henry at Natures. I have made sure the tank is alllll goood. What is wrong? This is my first cichled tank, so am I missing the knack? Is the tank too small? It is 'over filtered', beautiful and slowly dying off. I have already had to buy more to keep the population up to keep the aggression down. Why are they dying?

I have checked the ph against what demasoni like, the temp, the nitrated, nitrites, ammonia....what else?

The guy I bought them from said they lived successfully in this 30 gal tank before I got them, so I thought the size would continue to be okay?!?!

ANy suggestions? I am ready to pass them off to a more experienced cichlid keeper if I can't seem to get them happy here!

Robin

How big are the demasoni's? Sounds like they could be overstocked for a 30 Gallon.

Demasoni's really need to be sexed when adding them to the tank. There are specific male to female ratios that should be seriously looked at. Stress is most likely the cause if the water perameters are ok.

They are from 1 inch to 2 inches each. They are not sexed.......so stressed, eh? I am considering a 55 gal, but if the stocking is not the issue, but the sexes, then what shall I do? Aren't these things really hard to sex? When it comes to sexing fish, mature congo tetra's are about my league!! lol

Your a little overstocked. Demasonis are aggressive mbuna, so 16 of them would need way more space and tons of places to hide. I think you should be fine if you upgrade to a 75 gallon or so, I would also get some nice rock work for them to have lots of hiding spots. I am curious, what were your tank readings?

can't remember the readings. sorry. I will either rehome or get a bigger tank. thanks! I had a feeling this was the response i'd get, with all you cichlid keepers out there, i am very grateful for the responses!

can't remember the readings. sorry. I will either rehome or get a bigger tank. thanks! I had a feeling this was the response i'd get, with all you cichlid keepers out there, i am very grateful for the responses!

If your going to upgrade tanks, you should do it pretty quick. 30 gallons is a small tank. I don't even recommend having a mbuna group unless you have a 4' tank. So at least 55 gallons.