Petrotilapia sp. "Chitimba Bay"

JHG

Interestingly enough, this past Saturday (April 31) I was to have moved them from my tank to another hobbyist, however they decided, without my permission, to begin their family. I obviously had mixed emotions as it's always nice to see your fish spawn, however what to do with the quartet and their forthcoming kids?? One positive aspect of the spawning was that I just happened to be near the tank when the spawning took place and captured it on video using my digital camera. I'm hoping to have upgraded my website by the end of the month so that I can host videos, etc.

If the female holds to term I guess I could always get some BAP points... but will definitely need some help finding homes for the new little guys. Hopefully, some of the ECAS members and LFS' will help during that time.

If you'd like to see the video before I add it to the site, send me an email requesting it and I'll send it. Be forewarned that it's around 7MB in size.

J B)

PS: If anyone else here has kept this fish I'd love to hear of your experience.

The quartet, of which each fish is about 3" in length, are currently in a 42 gallon breeder tank. They pretty much have the tank to themselves, but ideally I'd like to either move them to larger quarters or to another hobbyist who would be interested in keeping them long term. There is some aggression. During the spawning on the weekend, the other females were chased around the tank quite ferociously but that had subsided as of Monday. Having not seen the WC version, I can't really compare the two. I'm going to contact the DRAS to ask who actually auctionned the fish to see if I can receive some detailed information on the fish, i.e., how did they obtain them, are they G1, G2, G-100, etc. If what you say is true, in that Stuart rarely ships them, then it's possible they're not a G-100 fish. Bu then, that opposite could be true.

• 3 weeks later...