help my watermelon wont eat.

bryancatfish

hello all,

the problem im having is that i cant seem to get my new watermelon pleco to eat. i purchased her about a week ago and i cant seem to get her to eat anything. i have alot of driftwood as well as rocks for hiding. she is about 7 or 8 inches long. i have tried everything that i know of to get her to eat (bloodworm, brine shrimp, zuchini. pleco logs. veggie wafers) and when she deficates its a long milky substance thats coming out(almost looks like wet cotton strands) i got her from a reputable dealer so im sure she was well looked after before i got her but im stumped so if anyone has an idea or two PLEASE drop me a line. the last thing i want is for her to pass away.

thanks everyone

Bryancatish

It sounds like he has internal parasites; I would treat the tank for those. Hopefully she is in a quarantine tank and you don't have to dose the whole tank. The best way to deliver the meds is to soak her food in it if you can get her to eat. Good luck

If possible, ask the dealer what she was being fed before you bought her. It sounds to me like she is stressed and just hasn't resumed eating in quantity, passing mostly mucous. Check out this site of Jo Ann's Diagnosis by Poop:

http://www.marquette.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/disease/technique/technique.html

This site seems very informative on the diet of the L-330, which I think is what yours is: http://www.piranha-info.com/default.php?lang=en&id=L190

I have a variety of woods in my tank, thinking woods such as Malasia and Mopani may be too dense for some of the wood eating pleco's. I could be way off base, just an idea though.

i spoke with the guy that i bought her from and he told me that he had her for 2 months and she was eating fine.he was feeding her zuchini and h2o wafers from NLS so imtrying some more of the veg as i dont have the h2o wafers yet. her tummy is so sunken in and she is very aggitated. im due for my weekly water change but im worried that its going to stress her out to much (but the tank needs the water changed or i run the risk of losing some of my other guys. any advise on this would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

i would really like to thank all of you for your help. thanks to the information that i got with the article and the other posts WE were able to save my girl. i am really happy to report that she is eating very well (she love zuchini and veggies wafers. i ended up doing a very large water change twice as well as increased to filtration dramatically and she seems happy , her markings are very striking now and her tummy looks full. so in closing this site and the people on it are a great group and im proud to be a part in it.

many many thanks