How can I save my betta?

Wackinator

My favorite fish, a male crowntail betta is swimming on its side for the last couple of day, I know nothing about diseases and the last time I had a fish do this was 4-5 years ago and everytime it happened I lost all my fish, I really dont want to lose this betta and he seems to be trying his best to swim around but he can only go in the circumference of the bowl he is in right now.

I read online and didnt find much but did read that salt and the inside of peas might help so I will try all those.

Does anyone know what this is? What can I do? I dont like seeing him in the pain he looks like he is in, continuously trying to swim and failing if he doesnt get better in a couple of days I might have to stick him in the freezer so that he doesn't suffer for long :cry:

any help?

Edited by blackbelt609

I had similar experience like this last year with my super delta. I gave him melafix and my betta was better and swim normal after 5 days in melafix.

But then after a week of looking healthy and swimming normal, all the sudden I found him in the morning lied down at the bottom looked in pain. I gave him melafix again and moved him in a different container and he was survive for a while but then died at 4 PM :(

I am not sure what went wrong...but I think I should make sure the water is in a good condition.

I hope your betta can make it.

Thanks BetaVishVish but I guess I should have made it clear why its sick too, I dont know what happened but my 20 gallon died almost overnight, the bettas are the only survivors, some say that its because of the DIY CO2, the mixture might have gotten in the water and some say that its because of overcrowding but tomorrow I will get melafix and try it on my betta.

Thanks again!

don't use melafix! it contains melacula (spelling?) oil and that can cause negative effects to the labyrinth organ in a betta.

i'm sorry i can't give any advice on treating your betta, i've never had to deal with the symptoms you are describing. the inside of a pea is for constipation, which it doesn't sound like he has.

it could be a swim bladder problem, by the way you describe his swimming, but if the crash of the tank is what caused his problems then it might not be swim bladder. it could be something else internally that is causing the sideways swimming.

put a plant or something in his bowl so that he can rest near the surface of the water. if he is swimming all the time and not resting he won't have as good a chance to recover.

i'd be doing large (even 100%) water changes daily, if not more often, so that the rising ammonia in his unfiltered bowl doesn't poison him. super clean water is also essential for recovery. i've seen a large shark with massive injuries recover by water changes alone.

i wish you luck in getting him better. keep us posted.

Thanks for your reply BettaFishMommy and okay I wont go with melafix then, and he is not continuously swimming, he just floats at the top of the water, I will put in a plant of or something, he is in a 2L container right now and I have been doing 100% water changes, I might put him in a 5 gallon bucket tmr but I think that would make it harder for him to get food.

I have read that if he is just floating and cant go underwater then it probably is his swim bladder, is that true?

Thank you for your help and luck, I hope he either gets better or passes away because its really hard to see him this way.

Thanks T Dawg, the link was useful and I dont have a heater in with him but I am putting him in warm water. I have also added some salt, so I guess all I can do now is hope he makes it.

Thanks again.

Edited by blackbelt609

Heat, salt and if you can find, indian almond leaves or extract. You could try black water extract too. Try daily water changes as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Heat, salt and if you can find, indian almond leaves or extract. You could try black water extract too. Try daily water changes as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Thanks Fishclubgirl, I did all that to my best, I had no clue where to find Indian Almond Leaf except for ebay, but he died :cry: he was my favorite fish.

Sorry to hear that your betta died :(. I felt sad too when my bettas died. hope this won't stop you to have another betta.

Thank you and I have 3 more bettas, females though I dont know if I will keep them or not, I had planned to breed the bettas but maybe I just dont have the room for bettas right now. I am looking into buying purebred guppies so I might sell the bettas to help getting them instead.

Thank you

Sorry to hear that your betta died :(. I felt sad too when my bettas died. hope this won't stop you to have another betta.

Thank you and I have 3 more bettas, females though I dont know if I will keep them or not, I had planned to breed the bettas but maybe I just dont have the room for bettas right now. I am looking into buying purebred guppies so I might sell the bettas to help getting them instead.

Thank you

Teenage obsession with breeding...