Grandmas Pond

Raven

My grandma has a pond in her front yard. When we where over at her house this Easter one of my uncle's dumped out old water in preparation for another uncle to fill it with city water from St. Albert. Grandma told me her well water was too salty and would kill everything including plants. She wants to put fish in it when its warm enough, so i am wondering what kind she could get, and when it woukd be ok to put them in. Also wondering if anyone has any i could give to her :) I would like to know what kind of conditions the fish would need as well, to help her get things right.

I have one client who keeps her fish in all winter. As long as the water isn't frozen, goldfish will be fine - just acclimate them on a warm afternoon. They don't need to be fed if the water is cooler than 55F.

how would you acclimate the fish for a pond? and what would you use to read the water temp? i'm not sure what sort of pump/filter she has, but what are essentials for one?

Edited by Raven

I would use a thermometer to read the temp of the pond, and acclimate the fish just like you would an aquarium - easiest way is to use a big tub filled enough to cover the fish, then add a bit of water every 5-10 min 'til the tub is full. Then dump 'em in.

good, good, next time i talk to her (she's in Hawaii right now) i'll have a bunch of questions for her. and more questions for you guys.