Oscars

timbruun

Looking at getting an Oscar here shortly and was wondering if anyone recommended anywhere over and above other places. I realize they can be found at most places but was just curious if a place had better quality stock than another.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of oscar? If your looking for a tiger, just get one at a lfs. Just make sure you pick a healthy one. Here are a few things to look for when buying a single oscar out of a tank of a ton of them.

Look for one that has no nipped fins. Look at the oscars head, make sure there are no tiny holes forming. Oscars do have pits on there head, so don't confuse it for hith. Look for a active one. Put your finger at the top of the tank, get the one that races to the top of the water looking for food. Look for a oscar with all of these traits.

My favorite are the oscars with a light green color to them, the wild variety. And the reds of course :P

I kind of figured on getting a tiger. Haven't really looked at other ones. Long fin perhaps don't think I want an albino.

Well thats good that you don't want a albino oscar, because you are most likely never to seen one.. ever :) The problem about the veil tail oscars is that when you put them with other cichlids, there long tails tend to be a target for nipping.

I am not saying albino oscars don't exist, I am saying they are very very rare. A true albino oscar will be a solid yellowish white color with red eyes. The white oscar with orange markings sold at local pet stores with the name '' albino oscar'' is not a true albino oscar. The name for these types of oscars are lutino oscars.

fish-2588.jpg

I would not add another oscar with the one you plan to buy in a 90 gallon tank. To have two oscars live together, I would recommend at least a 6' tank of 120 gallons. Oscars are not schooling fish, they do not need tank mates or buddies to be happy. He would be quite happy having the 90 gallon to himself. Good oscar tank mates in a 90 gallon Id say would be..

Silver dollars

Pleco

Jack dempsey

All these 3 tank mates I have had with a single oscar in a 90 gallon with no problems at all. There are more I can list, but I am listing the ones I had success in a 90 gallon with a oscar.

Questions ? :)

Right. Now I do remember reading about lutino oscars. Silver dollars might look pretty good. Add most movement to the tank. How many would be good? I am kind of figuring on a pleco also just to keep the scraps and somewhat algae to a minimum.

Right. Now I do remember reading about lutino oscars. Silver dollars might look pretty good. Add most movement to the tank. How many would be good? I am kind of figuring on a pleco also just to keep the scraps and somewhat algae to a minimum.

If your going to get a pleco, it has to be a large one, so the oscar does not try and eat it one day. If your planning on having a pleco for clean up, they produce more bio load then they clean. So if you get a pleco, you get one because you like them. I am a HUGE pleco fan. If your willing to invest a pretty penny on a pleco, here is what I would get for a oscar. L27 Royal pleco, L25 scarelt plecos are cool as well. L330 watermellons are cool too! I really like the As for silver dollars, 5 is a good number Id say.

Id get a scarlet pleco. One of these is going to set you back around 250 bucks :boxed:

kokuryu01.jpg

That's a gorgeous pleco. Don't think I'll be spending that kind of cash on one though. What do you mean the As for silver dollars?

And I guess I prefer bio load over food and algae in the tank. I do enjoy plecos though. So that's not an issue.

Edited by timbruun

That's a gorgeous pleco. Don't think I'll be spending that kind of cash on one though. What do you mean the As for silver dollars?

And I guess I prefer bio load over food and algae in the tank. I do enjoy plecos though. So that's not an issue.

I went on a pleco rant, so I changed topic to silver dollars. Thats just how I worded it haha.

Anymore questions?

Should be good for now. Thanks for the help. I'll be looking for an oscar probably this weekend and probably some silver dollars. Have to see about a pleco. Find out what's available and what I like. Don't need another common pleco really...

Should be good for now. Thanks for the help. I'll be looking for an oscar probably this weekend and probably some silver dollars. Have to see about a pleco. Find out what's available and what I like. Don't need another common pleco really...

fairdeal had some nice l330 not to long ago. For a very reasonable price.