How to Introduce New CO2 system- Gradually?

My3KidsDad

Ok so we have a new co2 reactor cooking in the tank, running at one bubble every 4-5 seconds, until we understand better what to do. How long do we do that and how often and how much do we increase the bubbles? I am amazed at how quiet the co2 system is even with the pump running.

We have a 50g. tank with 59 Amazonian type fish fully planted and with a new canopy providing 8 hrs. a day of 120 watts of light. We run two filters, a 2213 and a 2232 at 78F. temp.

Edited by My3KidsDad

A good start is 1 bubble/sec. Once you start adding ferts, you'll want to up the CO2 to keep algae at bay. A good running amount on a tank your size is about 3 bubbles/sec.

Thanks Jason, so I will readjust to 1/sec. and add fertilizer. How long would you leave it before increasing to 3/sec?

Some turn off CO2 off every night. They are going from off to full on everyday.

No need to wait. Think of it as not adding CO2 but rather oxygen. Any healthy plant encountering the gas , grabs it and produces Oxygen. It is a little intimidating at first but will soon become 'old hat'.

Crank it up. Under ideal conditions the more you add the more O2 you get.

That being said; if the fish/shrimp float - then turn it down.

No floaters yet lol. thanks for the tip.

I run my Co2 at 6 bbls/sec 24/7 in a 72 fully planted jungle with 220 total watts of light and use a Co2 indicator. In the morning it's a little high and the cardinals are still alive, but within an hour or two all you can see is millions of little bubbles on the plants and fine threads of bubbles making thier way to the surface.