ramshorn snails and sword plants

Guppygirl

These question may have been asked before-if so forgive me.

Are ramshorn snails and sword plants okay together. Or will the snails have a feast. I bought two sword plants and don't really have a tank for them-impulse buy-you all know the one-see a nice plant and have to have it. All my other tanks have BN pleco's in them- that is the other question will the BN eat the sword plants? If not then I have many tanks to choose from. Thanks for any info.

swordplants and ramshorns are great together! i have quite a few swords of various types in a tank that has lots of red, brown, and red/brown hybrid ramshorns and i have never seen damage to the plants. the snails are great for cleaning up small amounts of dead plant matter and they are wonderful for eating leftovers. just be sure you don't overfeed your tank, or else you could find yourself over-run by ramshorns!

in the same tank with the swordplants and the snails i also have a bn pleco. they will rasp on the leaves to get the 'goodies' and may cause some holes in the leaves due to the rasping, but they will not eat the actual plants.

just be sure to give the swordplants the nutrients they require. they are heavy root feeders, so you might want to look at getting some root tabs (fertilizer).