Gill Something....

Raven

For a few days one of the diamond tetras has been hanging out near the heater. and since i got to play with the fishes today i was able to get a good look at him/her. I think their maybe something in the gill that's irritating them, and the irritation is easily seen. Pics...

Fish028.jpg

Fish020.jpg

Fish017.jpg

Fish030.jpg

The others for comparison

Fish026.jpg

Edited by Raven

My first thought was Gill Flukes, but i'm no expert on diseases/pests...I've rarely had to deal with them. I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you better than I, but at least you can read up on Flukes and find out if you're fish are doing any of the symptoms other than a gill that is inflamed and possibly being eatin away?

Huh, its not doing that, just been sitting in the current of the water spill being pretty still. Its now looking like it has Pop Eye too. Its entire body looks to be swelled up, it almost looks like the scale on it body are spread out alot giving it an almost shredded look.Uploading more pics to photo bucket.... will be up soon. Should i just cull him?

Fish053.jpg

Fish049.jpg

Fish048.jpg

Fish044.jpg

Fish040.jpg

Edited by Raven

I cant remember what its called but if the scales are protruding its a easy diagnosis, it should of already been quarantined. I cant tell you to kill your fish. Check some fish disease websites like fishfarmacy.com

I've heard rumors of epson salts(don't mix with aquarium salt) taking down swelling. I would do tons of water changes at 90% with the same temperature. You can do this with a python by adjusting the taps and measuring temperature. Make sure your water heater can handle it and that it doesn't fluctuate while filling. Drop the prime in when you start filling. check your ammonia levels.

• 1 month later...

Well weeks later and no other signs of illness are being shown in the fish. I wonder if it was all caused by something being stuck in its gill?