Single aquariums versus central systems

Baos

I'm usually not one to copy and paste from another forum, but this is good information.

I think it clears up the misconceptions we have about filtration in the stores.

Originally posted: http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820

I have heard comments regarding our use of central systems over individual filters in each aquarium. I think it is an interesting topic for review.

All of our FW aquariums used to be operating on UGF only. I believe we converted them into systems 5' date=' maybe 6 years ago.

Occasionally I hear from customers that they feel any disease would quickly infect an entire pod and that systems promote disease.

We have numerous systems that we designed and installed. Each system is run with pressurized filters, high flow and UV sterilization. Our systems range from 600 gallons to the largest FW being 2400 gallons. Each pod has different water parameters for the specific fish we regularly house. For example we will run a higher hardness for our livebearers and a lower hardness for our Tetras. There is of course some over lap and some mixing between pods but we monitor our hardness levels weekly and our Nitrates are kept below 40, usually 20ppm.

If we look at the UGF situation, if you have an aquarium with 12 fish and you add another 100 fish to that aquarium, you are going to have spikes in water quality for sure. We can add 1000 fish to a pod and experience no spiking because of the water volume in comparison to the fish population. In this example, fish introduced into a healthy system will fare much better than an isolated aquarium. Isolation will contain disease but in my example also contribute to it. Our customers know of our quality and I feel our livestock speaks for itself. We also have the ability to isolate any aquarium where we can add a sponge filter which are always on hand, with bacteria in our sumps. This way if a new arrival has issues, we can deal with it in isolation and as soon as the problem is rectified, they are put onto the system. It is much easier to maintain high water quality in central systems. I dont think having one system for the entire store a good idea. With that situation, all your fish would be in the same water parameters. Tetras and African Cichlids for example should be in completely different parameters. The other great advantage to multiple central systems is the efficient use of UV. Running 300 UV sterilizers would be a nightmare and extremely expensive so no one would do it. With central systems it's easy. I welcome feedback on this topic.:)[/quote']

Edited by Baos

Whenever I'm able to get a fish room set up again, I know I'd much rather prefer a central system. As was said above, the sheer volume of water makes for a much more balanced system, and running UV gives a measure of protection against disease that not many aquarists running smaller aquariums would ever bother with.

Right now, I'm in the process of starting an aquaponics business, and have been in contact with many people looking for various pieces of equipment. One thing that surprised me when talking to one vendor regarding some filtration equipment was that if the fish (whether they be in tanks, ponds, vats etc.) were housed together in one room, disease wise it really doesn't make a difference if it's one large system or numerous smaller ones, because the disease will travel. It could be through contaminated nets, hands, a splash, etc. The larger volume of water offered by a central system might just give enough of a buffer that the outbreak doesn't occur.