BAD FISH FOOD

Baos

I recently illegally imported some fish food from the states. The food in question claims not to contain any wheat flour.

I had one fish die of what looked like ammonia poisoning although no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate was present.

My corydoras started to develop red spots behind their gills and towards the underbelly. Upon removing this food from their diet the red spots went away. No further deaths.

I'd like to remind you that Canada makes these laws to protect us. If you love your fish wait for it to either be approved or find a different food.

In part the reason for Canada's new law:

Until the 2007 pet food recalls, melamine had not routinely been monitored in food, except in the context of plastic safety or insecticide residue. This could be due to the previously assumed low toxicity of melamine, and the relatively expensive methods of detection.

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

“Melamine ingestion results in the production of cyanuric acid in the kidneys,” adds Weiss, “which results in intratubular crystal formation and acute renal failure.” This, she explains occurred in cats who were fed melamine in combination with cyanuric acid experimentally after the pet food issues to demonstrate what may have been happening during that incident.

taken from http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/melamine-and-kidney-failure.html

If anyone would like I can provide samples of this food for testing.

Maybe you should have followed the law, it's there for a reason! There are plenty of good products here in Alberta to feed your fish. Thanks for pointing out that our laws are based on useful information, not just whimsically thrown out there.04.gif

Maybe you should have followed the law, it's there for a reason! There are plenty of good products here in Alberta to feed your fish. Thanks for pointing out that our laws are based on useful information, not just whimsically thrown out there.04.gif

There was a site somewhere that I read which stated that the law regarding pet food was created as a result of pressure from the pet food suppliers in Canada as a way to control the market.

There was a site somewhere that I read which stated that the law regarding pet food was created as a result of pressure from the pet food suppliers in Canada as a way to control the market.

Always room for a good conspiracy theory somewhere! Score one more for free speech?

Always room for a good conspiracy theory somewhere!

LMAO, ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

The new regulations put in place last summer by the CFIA were implemented to prevent the spread of BSE. Pet food suppliers in Canada had zero input in the matter, and quite frankly most of us didn't even know about the finalized regulations until they had already been rubber stamped for approval. These regulations were put in place to protect consumers such as yourself, Baos, not so that suppliers in Canada could monopolize the pet food industry.

As far as the BAD FISH FOOD, I seriously doubt that melamine contamination had anything to do with your fishes illness, but you can't say that you weren't forewarned about this product. You can lead a horse to water ......

• 4 weeks later...

Just a further thought for anyone importing..

Orijen has had to recall their cat food from Australia. This is because upon entry to Australia, the cat food was exposed to high levels of gamma radiation. No other countries are affected by this recall, and Orijen has now stopped selling their product in Australia.

You might be surprised how often the company I worked for wouldn't receive an item due to gamma radiation and shipped it back.

• 2 weeks later...