New 30 Gallon Nano Tank Journal

Vitaminz

Well, had success with my 10 gallon nano, now getting the itch for and upgrade....

newtank007.jpg

This is a picture of my current 10 gallon tank with the new t5 light setup I bought for the new tank, once it is setup. FYI LOVE the T5 compaired to the compact fluorencents.....

So I went on Kijiji, and found myself one hell of a deal, a 30 Gallon Hex front tank with stand for $35, how could I pass this up? lol

I went and picked it up on Friday afternoon and brought it back to my office, after my boss gave me a look like oh gawd another fish tank....*Evil Grin*

newtank001.jpg

This is a picture of it brought into my office, dirty girl eh? As you can see it came with a T12 light, Thus why I went out on bought the new T5 setup....

I got to work cleaning it....man what a chore!

newtank004.jpg

Much better now....*whipes sweat of brow*

newtank006.jpg

This is a picture after I put in all the water and live sand....Cloudy with a chance of meatballs???? nah just cloudy....See what it will look like on monday morning.

I put in the following hardware for temporary, until the tank cycles:

Hydor Koralia Nano Powerhead (240 GPH)

Aquaclear Powerhead 802 (400 GPH)

Aquaclear 70 Filter System

This is it for now, will update when tank cycles.....

• 3 weeks later...

So finally had the time to do some upgrades to my tank, and having it fully cycled now...yahhhh... So I moved everything over from my 10G over.

So the first thing that I did was to pickup a Coral Life Super Skimmer (65g). I was very nervous at first, trying to find the sweet spot, so it wouldn't overflow the collection cup, which it did the first night...grrrr... One of the biggest flaws in this, was you have to shut off the pump in order to take out the collection cup in order to empty it. I thought this was retarded, so being a DIY guy, I thought I would improve on the design....*evil grin* So I went to Home Depot and picked up of all things, was a pvc 90 degree threaded electrical conduite. They didn't have anything similar under the plumbing section, don't ask..... So I broke out my handy drill and drilled me a hole, 3/4 " thru the plastic, and attached rubber gaskets on either side. And Viola, an emergency overflow that drains into a bucket hidden by the stand.... Never have to worry about the collection cup or finding the sweet spot again.

004.jpg

So here are some pictures of all the lifestock transfered over with the new T5 light:

001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

I am going to soon add way more live rock, just waiting for find a deal....Don't feel like paying $8/lb at the LF.... And yes the new fish love the new setup, except that black fish with a white tail, seems to be bullying the other fish, so might have to get rid of that one.... Anybody want to take him?

• 2 weeks later...

Update 6-16-2010

Got some new live rock today, now up to about 35lbs of live rock..... Also got some hitch hikers along with the rock, some star fish.

Had my anemone split as well, now I have 2 of them....YAHHHH.... Now for the pictures:

FishTank6-16-2010001.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010002.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010004.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010006.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010007.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010008.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010009.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010010.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010011.jpg

FishTank6-16-2010012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank Update 7/6/2010

Picked up a new light, as I found the dual T5 weren't cutting it. Is it just me, or do you spend alot of this hobby, searching for better equipment?? lol So the new light, I don't know who manufactures it, or if it was somebodies DIY project... But it is a 14k 150 watt MH with dual T8, so much better than just the T5. The clam is doing very well, had to move him down after I installed this light.... Re-arranged the rocks...never ending aqua scapping....lol

Here is a pic of the new light...

001.jpg

Picked up some new frags as well

1 small colony rock with the golden eye, green, and some green button paly's and Green Star Polyps.

Here are some new pics of the frags:

007.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

The Zoa's are the ones I picked up on a live rock, so that isn't growth of the original frag. The light was only $100, I really can't complain about it....lol I still go in on weekends to feed them, as for the water changes, not so much, with the MH and the skimmer, it takes out about 10% of the water for me, so just have to add water.... I still do a vacuum of the sand every month. Everybody in the office loves the tank, I get daily visitors that come in and check on the tank, and the progress. The boss just rolls his eyes, as another employee has a bigger fresh water tank in his office. As for the amount of time it takes up in my day, I work alot of overtime, so nothing has been said...yet...lol

As for the background, I am still on the fence about that.....Since it is against the wall, I don't see very much point, and the live rock hides most of the equipement....

• 3 weeks later...

7-28-2010

I Thought it was about time for an update, frags are doing amazing and growing nicely! Had a little bit of a hair algea from leaving the blinds open over the weekend....stupid sun light.....lol Got that under control, just reduced my lighting period from 12 hours to 8 hours, and pick up some mexican turbo snails. I have some Cree Q5 LED's on order and going to continue with the DIY light, by adding those to the light with the drivers of course...just had an itch for a DIY project.....Will update onces those come in. And now for the pictures:

DSC09706.jpg

DSC09716.jpg

DSC09715.jpg

DSC09714.jpg

DSC09713.jpg

DSC09710.jpg

DSC09709.jpg

DSC09708.jpg

DSC09707.jpg