Startin' Small

So, slowly getting back into fish. I Just set up a small tank for my daughter. It has a few Platys in it. 2 Males and 3 Females.

It just a beginning... I hope to get a bigger tank and set up in the future and start a set up for some Keyhole Cichlids, my favorite fish.

She has loved fish ever since she was about a year old. She loves to sit there and watch them swim. So for now (being as she is only 18months old) I am teaching her to help me feed the fish (with the fish food secured away when we are not feeding them lol). She is doing really well at that part already.

As for more tanks, I already have two bowls planned out for two bettas, and I am planning on doing a bigger tank (at least 45+ gallons) with some Keyhole cichlids and some other fish (maybe a long fin goby if I can find one) as soon as I can get everything in order. I already know where I'm placing the tank and can already picture it in my head how its all going to look already. :D I can't wait.

Here is a picture of my daughter's tank. it is still a work in progress so forgive the lack of awesomeness. lol.

post-748-127549713888_thumb.jpg

A background and a plant or two and you are set! Good start.

I keep all of my food on a shelf above and behind my tank. I found the 5 year rigged his own ladder and climbed up to grab it. This is a large 90 gallon tank that is over 6 feet tall. It's amazing what these kids can do. It's also nice when they get over their fear of touching the food, that way you don't have to fish the fish food cap out every time.

ha ha looks good!!! I guess 18 months is little young to start training her to do your dirty work haha.

As for the kids climbing things and figuring out how to get to certain places and certain things that you figure is impossible, kids never seize to amazing me at work i'm constantly wondering and scratching my head how kids have got there self into there certain situation. I've went to a few calls where kids have thought they could do what they have seen on TV ei. Flying. They are so fast and secretive if you don't keep one eye on them and on eye on whatever your doing your bound to fail haha. I guess when I have some of my own i'll be the one scratching my head wondering.

I added to fake stump things with plants attached. So now I just need to do the background. I am a really big fan of black, so I'm planning to paint the outside back black with acrylic paint. I did this before on a ten gallon i had a few years ago. worked really well and can be cleaned off if I want to change it.

This starter tank has really set off my fish bug. lol. At work today all I could think of is what fish did I want to start up another tank for. ugh.... my boyfriend is gonna go nuts. Good thing he has some fish experience and likes them a bit.

I also purchased two Bettas (crown tails) and they reside in seperate bowls on either side of my vanity in my upstairs bathroom.

Lex knows now that when she has breakfast the fish need breakfast too. And also that when it is her bedtime it is time for the fish to eat again. She's catching on really quickly.

• 2 weeks later...