small yet smart mod on small filter

BettaFishMommy

at the auction this spring i picked up a little Elite hob for my kiddo's betta tank. well dagnabit, i hated the dang cartridge system it uses! so i made a small little mod........

cut a piece of an Aquaclear sponge to fit inside the filter, and notched out the area for the intake tube.

post-3194-127718036071_thumb.jpg

post-3194-127718036663_thumb.jpg

this is how you would fit it into the filter

post-3194-127718037256_thumb.jpg

and this is what it looks like once the filter is running

post-3194-127718037746_thumb.jpg

it works great, very little to no bypass, and if you are running a small tank with just a betta and a couple ramshorns (like i am), it is plenty enough surface area to hold the right amount of beneficial bacteria. i've been running the filter with this mod since mid April and have had to rinse the sponge only once and there has never been any possibility of the filter overflowing due to it backing up/gunking up.

best part is, no more dang cartridges! lol.

• 2 months later...

to date this mod is the smartest thing i've ever done fishy wise, lol. quite often when i do a water change on the betta's tank i forget to rinse the filter sponge and it has never clogged or overflowed on me.

on a side note, whenever i'm at the lfs and i walk past the filter cartridges i just roll my eyes these days, lol!