Keeping fish in a Rubbermaid tub

Ruadh

I think this next time, I should just do one seam at a time and let it sit for a day before I do the next one.

What do you think?

I am pretty sure that silicon doesn't stick very well to silicon after its dry so waiting to to each individual seam is probably not a good idea for a fish tank. I have never done a reseal of a tank before but am planning one soon on an old 15 gallon that has got stained blue silicon. From what I have read its an all or none kind of thing. You have to apply silicone to all the corners all at once and tool it so being quick is pretty important. Most of the info I have found just removes the silicon on the inside of the tank and not the stuff in between the gaps between the glass panels. Hopefully that is helpful.

Thankx,ya, it must have been something like that.

Third times the charm, right?

I agree. Silicone all the seams at once. They do sell tile grout spreaders that are meant for corners. You might want to try using that instead of your finger. Maybe there was a air bubble under the seal and it started leaking from there. I would also apply more silicone to the outside edges, then scrap off any excess.

• 3 weeks later...

How has this worked out for you? Just curious.

Thanks for asking

It leaked again so I emptied it and I'm giving it lots and lots of time to dry out this time.

I think maybe that was my trouble, there was water in the joint that stopped the silicone from sealing.

The fish are OK so I'll wait till the middle of Sept. to try again.

• 7 months later...