First Planted Edge

mb3k

Hey hey,

This is my first attempt at a planted tank and I've decided on the Fluval Edge as a starter tank. Plants include: Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Vallisneria Spiralis, Pogostemon Helferi, and an Anubias Barteri. The anubias totally melted (leaf stem bottoms were soft and fell off), and initially the downoi melted a bunch but is now stable. The crypt melted a tiny bit but is the strongest plant in the tank, while the val is dying off but has shooted a few new runners. I guess patience is a virtue.

Livestock include: Furcata Rainbow x2 (male & female), Silvertip Tetra (x2), and one Black Neon I believe (he was labelled as mixed tetra). Plus 3 red cherry shrimp, and 1 black algae eating shrimp.

fluval2.jpg

fluval1.jpg

Looks good! That fish really brings a pop of color against the black substrate. How long has the tank been running?

Did you bury the rhizome on the Anubias? Burying the rhizome can cause the plant to rot out. I find it strange that the plant would have melted so easily as they seem to be extremely impervious to problems in the tank.

I should try to put some of my helferi in my edge too but I seem to have run out of room in there. :D

Yahoo! Thanks guys, the tank has been running for a month and a half now.

Looks good! That fish really brings a pop of color against the black substrate. How long has the tank been running?

Did you bury the rhizome on the Anubias? Burying the rhizome can cause the plant to rot out. I find it strange that the plant would have melted so easily as they seem to be extremely impervious to problems in the tank.

I should try to put some of my helferi in my edge too but I seem to have run out of room in there. :D

I may have buried the rhizome, but it was hard to tell because I didn't take off all the rock wool so that may have caused it to rot from the bottom up. Sometime in the future I will try my hand again at an anubias and maybe just tie it down to the right part of the wood. As you can see I've also left a lot of the rock wool attached to the helferi because the roots were so tiny and stuck to the wool - looks really ugly with the yellow sticking out but I think I might wait for the plant to beef up a bit before touching it again.

Looks Good ! Lol Mine Is Jammed Packed Lol ... Good Choice For A First Planted ... My Edge Was As Well My First Planted Tank

Blake

Do you have photos of yours? I haven't seen them around

Edited by mb3k