gaaaa! pond snails are driving me nuts!

oh my lordy, if i have to wipe one more jelly egg sac out of my canisters i'm going to hurl! lol. pond snails have colonized in my filters to the point where i have to rinse all the plastic parts in hot water and wipe everything off every time i do filter maintenance, which is approximately once a month for each filter (i alternate and clean only one filter each time i do a water change). by the time i go to clean the filter again, it's so full of snails and egg sacs it makes me almost nauseous!

i've read that potassium permanganate will kill snails. does anybody have some to spare please? i would need enough to treat both filters, a rena xp4 and a xp2. tank size is 55 gallons and critters in the tank are 4 med/large cichlids. no live plants in the tank. there are no snails in the tank, only in the filters.

i've never used PP before so if anyone had advice on how much/how to use that would be great!

huh, i've one pond snail, never really see it, it appears every once in a while, out of the blue. did find the bugger in the filter once, and i don't really know where it is now, maybe its time to check that filter again >.>

In response to your question about using KMnO4, I decided to post an article that I did for another forum under Fish Emergencies.

Be aware that if you use this chemical, it is not selective and will basically sterilize your filters. You would eliminate the snails but you would have to cycle your filters again.

after doing some extensive reading on PP i'm thinking i may want to just continue with manual removal of the snails and eggs. PP sounds like nasty stuff! and i don't want to have to cycle the filters again, too much stress on my fish and i'm not taking any chances with this stock which has never had any illness, parasite or anything bad happen to them (knock on wood!!!).

I know nothing about assasin snails. How big do they get. You could possible put one in your canister filter. If the pond snails are thriving in the filter maybe the assasin in the filter could control them. Just a thought. My tanks are crawiling with ramshorn snails but I feed them to my loaches. They don't seem to get into my filters but my MTS do occasionally and their shells stop the impellers, not a good thing. Good luck.

i've done a little reading on assassin snails and they would definitely be too large to live in the canister and get to all the pond snails. my canisters are rena xp's and there isn't much room between the sides of the baskets and the body of the canister. besides, having a pretty snail like an assassin, i wouldn't want to hide it in the canister if there was room anyway.

Do the classic parbroiled veggie trap. I had a huge infestation of snails but putting a slice of cucumber in every day and taking it out after one basically wipe out all the snails. I found the older (sexually?) mature snails would be prone to eating from it and so that wiped out the population. I have to search to find a snail now.

Do the classic parbroiled veggie trap. I had a huge infestation of snails but putting a slice of cucumber in every day and taking it out after one basically wipe out all the snails. I found the older (sexually?) mature snails would be prone to eating from it and so that wiped out the population. I have to search to find a snail now.

that would work if the snails were in the tank but they are only in the canister filters. manual removal is easy, albeit gross! lol.

that would work if the snails were in the tank but they are only in the canister filters. manual removal is easy, albeit gross! lol.

I mean stick it in the canister!