Hello from Calgary

vince0

Hey everyone!

I figured it was about time i intruduced myself to you folks. My names Vince and i live in SE calgary (the good part) - I have been in the hobby on and off for about 14 years and currently have 3 tanks set up, with many more awaiting proper equipment to start setting up.

My first tank is a 55 gallon, 4 ft tank with a breeding pair of angelfish, 8 silver tip tetras, 11 spawning sterbai cory's, 2 male albino bristlenose short fin, 1 female albino bristlenose long fin,and 1 L204 flash pleco. This is a low tech planted tank with a few pieces of mopani wood, and a mix of black fluorite gravel and dark small river gravel. It is mostly planted with a variety of anubias, a few sword plants, some valinesria and another kind of grass (not sure what kind). The filter i have on there is a fluval 305 that im thinking about modifying, and the lights are a home depot brand 48" dual t8.

My second tank is a 33 gallon, 3 ft tank with a breeding pair of german blue rams, a breeding group of american flagfish, a spawning group of gardneri killifish (golds and regulars), a breeding trio of wild type swordtails, 8 rasbora hets, a group of diffusa apple snails, 6 spixie apple snails, a multitude of assassin snails that im slowly relocating, 5 clown pleco's that im trying to establish as a breeding group, and about 20 - 30 american flagfish fry that are growing out in a breeder net. This tank is a hi-tech planted with a 36" HO T5 Hagen Glo Dual Bulb, Red Sea Co2 with regulator system, (im currently trying different diffusers till i get one im happy with) The substrate is a mix of extra small dark river gravel and black fluorite sand, and the plants include anubias, bacopa, cabomba, red tiger lotus' and many more that i can't remember right now.

Those two tanks im using as display/grow outs for that various species i plan on setting up in breeding tanks.

My Third tank is a 10 gallon, species tank. It currently has a group of N. Brevis "sunspot" growing out and I believe I have 2 pairs forming out of my group of 8, and 3 of the individuals will be going to a fellow fish hobbyist in calgary in the next week or so. The substrate is black sand and the lighting is a single 18" t8 bulb. The tank is slightly planted with Anubia Nana sp. Petite.

I have 2 10 gallons, 1 33 gallon, and 2 20 gallon Long tanks waiting to be set up, me and my father are currently desingning a 5ft stand to incorporate the 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks. At this point the brevis will be going into one of the 20's. I also have a 6ft 180 gallon tank on its way (got it for free from my roommate's uncle) and this will be set up as an angelfish and geophagus tank. Once the listed tanks are set up i will be acquiring new species for the display tanks as all the various breeding groups will be getting their own tanks.

I look forward to talking to you guys and hope to learn new things in the near future.

Thanks

Vince

Welcome to AA welcomeani.gif! I think the NE is the "good part" since it's were all the good petshops are located :P

ugh - don't remind me, i have to drive from mckenzie town to pretty much the other side of the world to get to pisces or big al's, but on the bright side, i usually make a trip out of it lol

Haha same here. I live in the NW and since I don't drive I have to take the transit for about 1 - 2 h depending on the FS to and from. Imagine carrying a fish tank and fluorite gravels on the transit (happened before)!

oh man that would be brutal! I remember the days of travelling from 162nd ave se to the aquarium society meeting by transit (in the days when the train only went to anderson) It was a good 2 hour ride, while driving only took 20 minutes. I wouldn't know what to do without a car anymore llol