Tank mates for LF BN plecos

aquabrain

Recently, I've sold my electric yellows, because they were shredding up my plecos (even the huge regular ones). Though not a cichlid fan, I miss them and my 44G feels really empty now cry1.gif So, I'm searching for new tankmates that won't bother my long-finned bristlenoses and would do well in Calgary water. Any suggestions/advice?

Other fish that currently live in the tank are 2 gold tetras, 2 black skirt tetras, and a Siamese flying fox.

Thanks for your help.

i am guessing you liked the color and energy your cichlids had as that is one of my favorite things about them too... if i had to get something else i would try and get some rainbow fish they look similar in alot of ways and some have AMAZING color to them.... and they wont destroy any fins... but thats just what i would do, then again i would also get a bigger tank :P lol

Even though Calgary water is hard, it's not like you can't keep any soft water fish but they just might not breed for you. I guess if you are looking for larger fish maybe try some Congo Tetra? Since they are schooling fish I don't really think they'll bother your pleco. You can also try Angelfish and definitely consider some Pearl Gourami or Moonlight Gourami (really beautiful fish and hardy as well!).

Edited by AvianAquatics

if you want to go with a long finned fish to 'match' the plecos i would recommend long fin rosy barbs. i have 5 in my planted tank with a bn pleco. they don't get too big (i figure mine are about 3 inches - eyeballing), they don't destroy plants, they'll eat anything you feed them, lol, hardy as heck, and a nice size group of them would look splendid!

maybe some more docile cichlids? I've never had Cichlid and pleco problems before and to date i have kept 4 different species with BNs.

i am guessing you liked the color and energy your cichlids had as that is one of my favorite things about them too... if i had to get something else i would try and get some rainbow fish they look similar in alot of ways and some have AMAZING color to them.... and they wont destroy any fins... but thats just what i would do, then again i would also get a bigger tank :P lol

Rainbowfish seem a good possibility. And who wouldn't want a bigger tank? Except that I need a home with a stronger floor first, haha...

if you want to go with a long finned fish to 'match' the plecos i would recommend long fin rosy barbs.

Rosy barbs are a really good idea I've never thought of. And I'm a sucker for long fins drool.gif

Thanks for your awesome ideas everyone!!