Electric Yellow fry

medhatnoobee

So a month into keeping fish and learning, I wound up with 30 Electric Yellow Cichlid fry. They are eating crushed flakes and doing well for a week so far. I have them housed in a 10 gallon with a siphon and pump out of the main tank. My question is, how long does it take to grow to a marketable size and what is that size? I understand it's variable and my guess would be a few months to 1". Am I close? I have no idea what to do with them at that point. A LFS has shown interest. I have 2 other females holding eggs now but with no outlet I'm going to let nature take it's course.

So a month into keeping fish and learning, I wound up with 30 Electric Yellow Cichlid fry. They are eating crushed flakes and doing well for a week so far. I have them housed in a 10 gallon with a siphon and pump out of the main tank. My question is, how long does it take to grow to a marketable size and what is that size? I understand it's variable and my guess would be a few months to 1". Am I close? I have no idea what to do with them at that point. A LFS has shown interest. I have 2 other females holding eggs now but with no outlet I'm going to let nature take it's course.

About 2-3 month's sound right to 1 " depending on how often you feed. They will out grow the 10 gallon in a few weeks and I would do plenty of water changes in the mean time. Vacuuming the bottom daily is a good idea. I don't understand how you are filtering the water they should have at least a seasoned sponge filter in the tank. You could also try to advertise on kijiji soon as they can go at 1/2 - 3/4 inch. The LFS would not likely pay a lot for them but it is a good place to get rid of them.

Good luck

John

rate of growth will depend on feeding and housing. What you're feeding matters (IMO). I prefer mixing it up with live foods and NLS Grow and feeding a few times a day, and because I feed fry several times a day you also have to keep up on maintenance on the tank...so water changes are a must otherwise they get stunted and/or defects develop.

Not filtering in that tank. The water is pumped out of my main 55G tank into the 10G and a siphon tube returns the overflow to the main. I have plenty of filtration on the 55. The 10G is bare glass and 30 fry are taking no room at the moment but I will change up when they get bigger.

I was pretty sure the LFS won't offer much. I'm not raising them to make money. Trades would be better.

Not filtering in that tank. The water is pumped out of my main 55G tank into the 10G and a siphon tube returns the overflow to the main. I have plenty of filtration on the 55. The 10G is bare glass and 30 fry are taking no room at the moment but I will change up when they get bigger.

I was pretty sure the LFS won't offer much. I'm not raising them to make money. Trades would be better.

Tend to agree with Geleen, I have found using a seasoned sponge filter more effective as it aerates the water as well as filtering it, though leaving the siphon (ensuring the fry don't get caught up in it!) along with the sponge is also good.