Egg layers with livebearers

Terra

Hi All,

I have an addicition to livebearers. Currently I have:

Swordtails

Mollies

Platies

Ameca Splendens

BUT, now I'm developing an interest in egg layers. I'm wondering what, if any, species of egg laying fish/invertebrate/anything I can put in my 55g with livebearers and still have eggs and babies survive?

Any and all info would be appreciated!

Terra

the problem with egg layers is that the eggs are as easy for other fish to eat as newborn fry...but if you get a pair of fish that are good at guarding their eggs/fry then you'll have survivors.

Some of the best parents are Cichlids, though they do get very aggressive towards others so it's kind of a good and bad thing. Nothing is impossible and the best lessons are learned by doing. ;)

if i were in your shoes, id start with a dwarf south american cichlid. Maybe like a keyhole cichlic or something similar. That way you get to experience the fun of egg layers without having to deal with very large size/territories of some cichlids, or the difficulty in keeping/raising the harder blue rams/apistos

Ok, cool.

I have a moderate to heavily planted tank with lots of java fern and duckweed/frogbit that fry like to hide in. Now I guess it's onto what egglaying fish are reliatively easy to breed?

I currrently have golden zebra loaches and white cloud mountain minnows, an african dwarf frog and a "mother-in-law" pleco. I don't believe any of these have great success rates breeding in the home aquarium. Any suggestions?

Just a suggestion based on my own experience, Cherry Barbs.

Small, peaceful, look pretty cool as the males turn bright red when mature. I have 7 in my 45 and they have laid eggs a few times, but since they eat their own eggs and the other tank mates do so as well I haven't had any hatch. I only have gravel substrate and plastic plants, so it's easy pickings for everyone, but in a well planted tank they would stand a much better chance. From my research they are fairly prolific, and don't require anything specific for breeding to take place so they might be a good option for something to try.

Best of luck,

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies! I think I'll try some Kribs in a bit. I have the daunting task of moving my four fish tanks next weekend to our new home. :boxed: Any suggestions on how to do this with as little stress (to me and the fish!) are highly encouraged.

After everyone is settled in I will likely add some newbies. I also want to try some shrimp, but that is for another topic.

Thanks again!

Terra

I just thought of this:

Kribs are bottom dwellers yes? Will they be too territorial against my six golden zebra loaches, my pleco and my ADF? These guys are all so peaceful I'd hate to see them bullied by the tank newcomers after surviving a move.