Ray making a awful racket

JLake

I am a first time ray owner. SO far I have one male Lanticep(Pardon the spelling)> My question is, Why at night is it so rowdy. It woke me up a few times last night, banging off the lid and generally alot of splashing. Is this normal? Eating 3 large dew worms a day, is this enough? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am a first time ray owner. SO far I have one male Lanticep(Pardon the spelling)> My question is, Why at night is it so rowdy. It woke me up a few times last night, banging off the lid and generally alot of splashing. Is this normal? Eating 3 large dew worms a day, is this enough? Thanks in advance for any advice.

What size is the ray and the size of the tank. Rays tend to be very active and make a bunch of noise when near the top of the tank. If it's eating fine etc then you just have a happy active ray!

Probably not enough food. How big of a ray is it? Rays are measured by disc width. What size tank is it in? What are you using for a filter and how much bio media is in it. Was this tank allready established? What temp is it at? What are the tankmates?

I usually feed my rays 2 times a day and usually try and feed a little extra off the start if the ray was a wildcaught. You may need to remove a little food after each feeding until you get the hang of how much to feed.

Its just a pup 4-5 inch disc. In a 55 gallon by itself for the next few weeks untill i tear down my 180 tang tank. Eheim 2217 packed with media. Fluval 305 packed with media, and a air pump powered sponge filter. All established media. It has refused shrimp twice, but will eat aworm right after. I suction out its poops everyday. It was so loud last night that it woke me and wifey up. The tank is not in our room, it is 30 feet away. The ray drove the poor dogs crazy. Is it looking for a pal? I am getting a small female for him this friday. (as well as a new filter) How many worms should this guy be eating? How do I make him start eating shrimp? I am so into rays now. He is so curious. Temp is at 80 F. It poops often and has never refused a worm. Tonight I am going to feed him just before bed to see if that settles the lil bugger down. I never thought such a flat fish would have soo much charm. Im guessing they are nocturnal maybe? Cant find alot of info on this particular kind. Must go by another name? such a cool pet.

Oh yeah I also did something I have never done before. The bottom tray of the fluval is divided in two. I got some ammonia remover i think combined with carbon. Just as a precaution, I have never had a problem, jujst wanna be extra careful as the tank was filled with a colony of sandsifters beforehand. Is that a waste? What abput chemipure?

Sounds like your doing everything right. I would remove the ammonia remover because all your doing with that in an established filter is starve your bio-media. Rays are very simple lots of filtration with lots of biomedia and lots of waterchanges. I never use any chemical filtration except for carbon when removing meds and just before I snap pics. I would feed in the evening just before lights out and once in the morning/afternoon for a ray this size. It will for sure eat more than 3 large dew worms a day at this size, probably at least 2 meals of 3 to start and add 1 extra a day until you get it figured. I wouldn't add another one to the 55 unless you want to start doing alot of waterchanges. Wait for the the 180 to get setup. Most laticeps are actually rectics but its hard to say what they are as laticeps is what alot of exporters label a bunch of different rays.

Now how about some pics and congrats on what will become an addiction. :)

I am a water change junkie. It was purchased from potamo. I just want to get a female while i still can. I was going to add another larger eheim to the tank. I dont want to be looking for a laticep(female) and not be able to get one. SO how many wcs are we talking about here if I get another one in the 55? Would a extra filter help? I was thinking of maybe a ac110 to top it off? I really want to see them have pups one day. Last night I fed the ray before i fell asleep and he never woke us up. SO thats good news

I am a water change junkie. It was purchased from potamo. I just want to get a female while i still can. I was going to add another larger eheim to the tank. I dont want to be looking for a laticep(female) and not be able to get one. SO how many wcs are we talking about here if I get another one in the 55? Would a extra filter help? I was thinking of maybe a ac110 to top it off? I really want to see them have pups one day. Last night I fed the ray before i fell asleep and he never woke us up. SO thats good news

In a 55 you may need to do a small water change daily. You sound like you have the bio under control but you will still have all those nitrates to remove. I keep my nitrates at around 20 ppm and never let them get above 40 ppm.

Keep the questions coming if there are any more.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...