Bolivian Ram cichlids

Guppygirl

Temp: high 70's to lower 80's are fine.

I think those are fairdeal's rams, and he has them acclimated to calgary water around 7.8 although they would probably breed and do better in a pH below 7.

They are good community fish, mine are in with cardinal and metae tetras, otocinclus, angels and apistos.

Yes, they like a planted tank.

as above. I have a group of 8 in a non planted tank, straight Calgary water. They seem to really like a piece of slate on the tank bottom. I left a small piece in the tank one day and it was immediately claimed and defended by the biggest male. Showed some really nice colors. They like to jaw wrestle a lot. I have taken to calling them the Bolivian monkey fish, because they are always monkeying around. They seem really harmless to other fish. I've had them with everything from angels to a pair of full adult severums. They've yet to bother anyone except each other.

try the piece of slate on the tank bottom. They color up beautifully when defending their little rock.

Those were my rams at the auction. They will do just fine in a tank with a little rockwork or driftwood but do prefer the planted environment. Since they are a peaceful fish keep them with other fish with the same temperment.

Edited by fairdeal