bettas not illegal in Canada

fishclubgirl

So I'm headed through Canadian customs and declare my fish(bettas and yucatan mollies). The customs lady gives me a strange look(not sure why, doesn't everyone have fish in their suitcase??) and says they will have to search them. So I get my suitcase and take it over to be searched(not sure how they do cavity searches on bettas). Customs guy looks at me and says "aren't bettas legal in Canada?". I agree but still offer to show him. He waves me off and there's now 18 new fish residents of Canada, 12 dragon bettas and 6 yucatan mollies(silly me, I didn't mention them!!)

ruh roh.

so, some alleged person may or may not have just flown back from Phoenix, and may or may not have had 3 baggies of killie fish eggs in their carry on bag.

This person may have read the canadian customs card and seen nothing about fish or fish eggs on the list, so didn't indicate same in any way....

They may have indicated the cost of same on the card in a non specific way and told the customs agents 'oh some shirts, books and stuff' when asked why there was $100 in cost on the card....

Allegedly.

For further discussion regarding said unknown person, talk to my lawyer, Guido. that is all.:smokey:

Edited by DanGofCalgary

Actually the fish are considered a "perishable" but currently it's legal to import any fish not on the CITES list. I use them as a "red herring" and have always declared them. Plants, what plants, again???

• 11 months later...

Have to resurrect this thread.... So I'm coming through customs with my treasures(and no plants..... :shifty: ) and I realise my apple is a perishable so I decide to declare it and the fish. First custom guy marks it on my declaration and says I have to throw it out(like there's no American apples sold in Canada) but it's in my suitcase. Grab my bags and get out the offending apple and head up to the next officer, expecting my bags to be searched as they did last time. Wow, this guy could've passed as Benjamin Bratt and I really wanted to suggest a strip search but that's a different topic. I hold up my apple and say "guess this has to go..." He says "are you going to BC?" and I'm not(but definitely go if he's taking me). So I take my apple and my suitcase full of fish and head out to the cab stand with no search. :smokey:

Did you tell him that you probably should be strip searched? Sometimes, with those Benjamin Bratt type pretty boys, you have to clarify.

Next time, I would recommend that you give him your phone number and inform him that you MIGHT be carrying contraband at a future time, and he should work some overtime... If he doesn't understand that, then he likely is more interested in Mr. Fishclubgirl...

That is all.

Can't say as I would blame him. The "Mr. Fishclubgirl" is a fine looking specimen and the selection of eligible males is pretty limited at aquarium club. He's proof that the fishclubgirl has good taste in bettas, boots and boys :rolleyes: