hardiest plants

johnsmith

I"ve tried anubias, java fern and Cryp. wenditii in my tank with 1w/g and found that the crypt is the only one tha tdid really well under those conditions. IT still grew and spread like mad. The java fern and anubia stayed alive but didn't grow to well.

I put a small chunk of java fern into my 55, 36x18x20, and in the 16 or so months that it has been in there it has grown to be almost a cubic foot in size. I have a 40w shop light on the tank using old no flouescent that I just replaced a couple of weeks ago. I add liquid fertilizer every so often when I remember. Nitrate levels are usually around 5-10 in all my tanks, planted or not if that helps. The only other plants in the tank are hygrophilla polysperma and an unknown type of sword which also grow well.

How are you planting them?

The java ferns that aren't growing? I tied them to a piece of lava rock that sits on top of a piece of driftwood. Some leaves stay green while others just dissintigrate. The one original leaf is continuing to live and sproute new plantlets even though I broke off the rhizome (?) by accident a long time ago.