Water Parameters

pasteurella

We use water parameters as a gauge of how our tank cycle is doing, or how well it is keeping. A aquarium needs to cycle so that it is safe for fish or other living creatures. A fully cycled tank will have no ammonia, nitrite, and between 10-40 of nitrate. Nitrate being the final stage of the cycle. Once you start to see nitrate you know your cycle is done. Most people say that they like their nitrates to stay around 20, and if it gets higher they do a water change.

There are two ways to cycle a tank, fishless and the other is to cycle a tank with fish in it. A fish in cycle can be stressful and can cause stress and problems for the cycling fish. To find out about both ways to cycle just google them, or try typing it into the search function on this site.

Ph is not as important a reading as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as most fish can adapt to ph. Thou if your ph swings it can and will cause problems, stress and illness in fish. Also it really depends on the fish you want to keep. Tetras, rams and certain other fish like more acidic water-ph less than 7, while others such as cichlids prefer a ph more than 7 and closer to 8. Others prefer a neutral ph of around 7. You can keep tetras in water close to 7, they just may not breed. I have neons, and pristella tetras at a ph of around 7.4 thou I haven't tested lately and they are happy it seems, but not breeding. You can naturally lower ph by adding driftwood, almond leaves, peatmoss to your tank and filter. OR add crushed coral for cichlids to raise the ph. Don't use the ph up and down products as they can cause swings that stress your fish and you have to keep using them.

Your best bet is to probably buy a API master test kit, it has all the main liquid tests -ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and I think Ph. Or you can buy each separately. Try not to buy the strips as I have heard they are inaccurate. Good luck with your fish. :thumbs:

Ooh, I should so not respond to this!!! As an experienced(I think) aquarist, I do not use these and not even thermometers. Having said that, a beginning aquarist could use a basic test kit to help them get started. But take the readings with a grain of salt and don't get hung up on them. If the fish are happy and plants growing(if you have them), I wouldn't bother(and I don't,lol). A good basic book on aquariums could be just as much help too. Perhaps someone can recommend one???

Hi all,

I often read people asking about the water parameters of their aquariums. Is this something I should be looking at, and if so what materials should I purchase to do so? Do I really need the pH meters, nitrite meters, etc?

Hi Pasteurella!

I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on pH meters and all that super high tech stuff unless you are planning on keeping something that needs very specific water parameters. I would just invest in a simple test kit that will give you ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH readings. I have all of em and I almost never use them now LOL. As long as there is no Ammonia or Nitrite in your water and the temperature is stable you are good to go!

i agree with picking up the API Freshwater Master kit. it may seem like a high cost (i believe they run between 30 and 40 bucks, depending on the store), but the number of tests you get out of the kit definitely makes the price worthwhile, along with having the peace of mind that your tank's parameters are at their proper levels.