Cichlid With Bent Spine

IronDogg

Hello all,

I have a Jack Dempsey Cichlid that I have had for about 9-10 years now, and it recently and suddenly has a bent spine and is now laying on an angle at the tank bottom (see attached photos).

When I first noticed the condition about a week and a half ago or so I did a 70 percent (2/3rds) water change, then a day later, did a 90 percent change thinking ammonia/nitrate issues. I am against adding any chemicals to tank water other than dechlorinator, so no other additives have ever been or are currently in tank. The last large water change before these changes were about a week previous.

The Jack Dempsey still has very vibrant colors, it still responds with eagerness when I approach the tank thinking it is going to be fed. When I do feed it, it manages to swim good and energetically to get its fill of food; then after eating it goes back to lay on the bottom as shown in photos.

For tank information, this Jack is the sole inhabitant in a short 55 gallon (3 feet long instead of 4 feet and extra width front to back), and has been the sole inhabitant for about 8 years. Layout of the tank was changed once in 2006 when we moved. The layout is a tiered rock ledge setup in the middle with no caves or tight spots which allows me to python all around the edges during cleaning. Substrate is small 1mm-3mm river gravel and is only about 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep averaged over the whole tank.

Temperature in the tank is room temperature which is always 23 degrees (about 73-74 degrees F?) summer and winter. There is no heater in the tank. There are no other "appliances" in the tank (i.e. pumps, filters, etc). An AquaClear 500 HOB is the filter, which gets cleaned about every 6-8 weeks or so, and most of the time didn't even need to be cleaned anyway.

I do not know what the parameters of the water are, as my test kits are long expired. I do large water changes (90%) every 2 weeks, so I would expect ammonia/nitrate to be ok, but I can't confirm. ph of water in my area varies from about 8.0-8.5 or so. Hardness is always "high" as well.

I don't expect that the fish injured itself in any way, as this fish does not experience stress from other fish and is not effected by outside tank movements such as the cat pawing at the glass or somebody suddenly walking past the tank; there are no areas in the tank where it could have gotten pinched or caught that I can tell anyway.

I don't think electric shock would have caused this as mentioned above the only thing in the tank is a HOB filter, so unless there is stray current coming from within the filter somehow, I'm not sure on that. I have had my arm in the tank and didn't feel any electricity... :)

I have seen a similar condition to this in big momma guppies a few years back where they would seem paralyzed on their tail and a white vertical band would appear in their skin color on their tail at this paralyzed spot. I never knew what caused that; I always thought it was either a water condition issue or old age, so I would do a water change and some would die anyway, which then made me wonder if they died because of ph shock of the large water change (or other water parameter acute change) or was just timing coincidence.

Disease or parasite could be a potential as the python is shared between other tanks during tank cleaning day. A disease or parasite could have caught a ride on the hose or vacuum from one tank into this tank during water change operations. Please take a look at the Jack's butt-hole and advise if it looks normal or maybe is abnormal which could indicate internal concerns.

Has anyone here experienced this condition with their fish and may have some advice for me to try?

post-112-0-86750200-1293466809_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-93172300-1293466818_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-42937700-1293466832_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking a look and any advice you can provide. :)

research fish teburculosis and bad indigestion in fish. both can have cases like this.. With TB they wont eat much anymore though..

btw. im very sorry that you have to go through that

Edited by Neesmo

In order to feel an electrical shock you would need one hand in the water and one on something grounded, like the metal of the electrical box. Don't try this, it can send the charge across your chest and mess with your heart. A cracked heater is the most likely way to get stray electriciy into your tank. I am infamous for not unplugging them when doing water changes and having them overheat and crack.

A Multi meter from the water to the ground on an electrical plug is the best way to check for voltage. A device or cord with the ground removed can cause problems too.

Good luck with your fish.

• 1 month later...

first off that sux about your fish

sorry guy

what is the average life exp of that fish i mean 9-10 years isnt that a long time? im new and im not trying to be a smart @$$ but is it possible that his age has anything to do with it

research fish teburculosis and bad indigestion in fish. both can have cases like this.. With TB they wont eat much anymore though..

btw. im very sorry that you have to go through that

Fish TB is very very rare, I've only seen like one case in all of my fish keeping years. I mean it would cause your fish to bend like that, so it is a possibility but unless you have added a new addition to any of the other tanks in the recent weeks I wouldn't really rule that as a possibility. TB doesn't really just develop out of nowhere. I also do believe it's more of an S looking shape when TB occurs, your fish is just sorta bent. It really does look like a mechanical injury to me, have you have to net him anytime recently?

Edited by CursiveDuck