Computer Nano Aquarium

gBOYsc2

A couple of months ago I was taking out the trash and I found this little old Macintosh Classic sitting by the dumpster. This was actually the first computer I had ever used as we had these in elementary school probably right around the time they came out.

Instantly the idea to use it for a nano aquarium came to mind. So I brought it in, gutted it for the better part and cleaned it up a bit and this is what I have.

001-1.jpg

I think either making my own little tank or getting one custom made should be really easy. There is even an area for the tank to sit on in there if I don't completely gut it. My biggest problem will be making this thing openable from the top as it only opens from the front. On top of it all I am not much of a DIY'er but this thing was a special gift from the aqua gods that said I just have to do it!

003.jpg

I am considering maybe trying to install a sliding drawer system but I don't know if that will be easy or practical. My only other option would be to somehow nicely remove the top area without butchering it and making it so it can come on and off with ease. Another problem I see is the handle area on the top is depressed into the unit and I would like to somehow raise that up to a flat surface. I have no idea how to do this because I have never done anything like but IT WILL BE DONE! lol. Anyone have any advice or ideas for this?

If I cannot do this it will also pose a problem with the lighting. There won't be much room. If I can pull this off I should be able to use roughly the same amount of lighting from 2 of the lights for the Dymax unit.

It will be roughly an 8-9 inch cube. Not sure exactly how much room I will have to work with. I am thinking of using LED's to light it and building an all in one tank unit back wall filtration thingy(i have no idea what these are called) similar to what is in the Dymax IQ3 or the Fluval Spec. I think this will be the easiest and most space efficient. I am also thinking I will have to paint it black so it doesn't look like a computer from the stone ages. Won't look very nice next to my Samsung monitor.

Anyways I just wanted to share that with you all as I am extremely excited about this project and I think it would be the perfect replacement or addition to my current desktop.

010.jpg

004.jpg

I would love to hear comments and suggestions on how I can pull this off.

Thanks for the links Werner! That setup is amazing and much more advanced then what I had in my mind LOL. I never would have guessed there were plans already made for this. I think this will make my project much easier.

Jayba I would have never known. Does the vinyl dye give a nicer finish then the paint? I was scared that the paint would look painted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...