New Plants In A Tank Question

Hippoherder

I'm trying to get my tank changed from overgrown bog to something a bit more appealing. It's a 29 gallon tank that is overgrown by a plant that grows so fast and so much, I had to start pushing it to one side of the tank when I feed the fish. It's some viney thing (sorry, still learning names) that I've seen potted in a store but mine only floats. I routinely pull big clumps out but it still keeps growing like a weed (no, it's not duckweed). So yesterday I bought some Childrens Tears on a rock and another potted plant (corkscrew somethingor other) and it was only a matter of moments before the plants were swarmed by the shrimp and snails in the tank. Is there something the quality of the pants that attracted everything like a cat to Catnip? Did I just get lucky and get everyones favorite plant? COuld it be the fertilizer they used (if any)? I'm just trying to figure what is making the inverts think these plants are magnetic north and if my overgrown plants are lacking something.

it's the invert version of 'ooooh! shiny!'?? :rofl:

quite possibly the plants that were already in your tank had been picked clean by the shrimp n snails and the new plants had lots of 'goodies' on them for the inverts to nibble on? the plant tank at the store didn't have any fish in it eh?