Angelfish Breeding

Ghostface

Hello all, I need some advice on my Angelfish. I got 6 Angel's about 4 months ago, they were about 6 months old at that time, so they are around 10 month old. 2 of them have started to clean the surface of my terracotta pot. This is my main tank, there are 4 other Angels in the tank and they are fighting off the corner of the tank. This being the first spawn, do I leave them in the main tank and let them spawn, or should I be moving them to my 15 gallon breeding tank even though they have already started to clean the pot? I would assume that the other Angels are going to eat all the egg's or just harass the parents all day long. What should I be doing with my Breeding Pair after they spawn a few times and get the hang of it? Leave them in the community tank and just remove the terracotta pot with eggs on it?

I would like to raise the fry, and have a tank setup with sponge filter, bare bottom and plastic amazon sword plant on one side of tank, and terracotta pot on opposite side.

I guess what I'm confused with is this; Do I always keep the breeding pair in the 15 gallon to spawn then remove them into community tank once they lay eggs or do I leave them in the tank with the other Angel's and just move the slate or pot once eggs are layed?

Thanks

Take out the slate after they're done and put into the breeding tank with some antifungal and put an airstone on them. Make sure the temps around 80 degrees and after 3 days, fry(hopefully!!). A week today, start them on BBS and make sure the water quality is good. You could swap out the airstone for a sponge filter. Let us know how it goes!!!

Well, it is their first spawn, and from what I've read, they have to get use to the whole process before they will succeed, so you think I should still move it? I have a corner sponge filter in my 15 gal tank, it is cycled and ready to go.

I took this picture :)

angelfishspawning.jpg

Edited by Ghostface

It's so beautiful watching them protect the eggs. I can't take my eyes off them...They are done spawning now...It took about 1h30min-2h for them to completely finish the spawning process...although I dont know how many eggs the Male fertalized. The female was spawning eggs for about an hour and then the male slowly started to fertilize the eggs. There's probably about 200 or so eggs, the female is going up and down the eggs fanning them while the male is fending off the other angel fish that are getting close. Awesome to watch!!!....I have 6 of them in the tank, I just dont know how many males there are, but it seems like I have 4 males and 2 females just by looking at the size of them. I hope there will be another pair that lay eggs.

I have been waiting for this for the past 4 month, finally it is here, and I was able to watch the whole thing, just amazing!

Every once in a while the female is eating an egg, probably because it wasn't fertalized. I hope by morning there will be some eggs left, otherwise, I can't wait for the next time they spawn.

Should I get rid of the other 4 Angel fish that haven't found a partner? I dont want to overcrowd my aquarium...it is only a 36 gallon tank.

Thanks for the reply's, I will let you know how its going

Hey Ghostface or should I call u Ironman? lol ;)

Congrats on the spawning! I don't keep angels but I came across this little Angel breeding documentary on youtube. It may answer some questions you have. Check it out.... and be sure to watch part 2 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF4CfUCVpY

Haha, thanks GBoysc2,

I did watch that Documentary, that Aussie guy did an awesome job narrating that piece! I play SC2 as well, but haven't in quite some time, maybe we should play sometime? hehe

Anyway, thanks for the post! I've pretty much watched or read anything that came up on google on angelfish breeding. I thought I'd post here to see if the local Angel breeder guru's had any insight or tricks.

I might be moving to Edmonton in September, we'll see, would be nice to know a fish-keeper as I plan to keep my fishies, hopefully they will survive the trip

Edited by Ghostface

The fish will probably survive the trip. Harold makes the trip to Edmonton a few times a year with a lot of fish and they make it through ok. At the fish club auctions, we have fish in bags for at least twelve hours and they are ok. One thing to put into the bags is something called bag buddies, it definitely helps.

thanks rayfong, I will definitely need some advice on how to move all my fish if/when I move.

I passed out on the couch watching the fish lol, all the eggs are still there, and the female is fanning the eggs :) Hopefully when I get up tomorrow it'll be the same.

• 1 month later...

Well its kind a late addition ... hopefully this will help for the future.....My angels were preparing / cleaning the space up so we took out all the

other fishes from the tank (for the future its better if they are in an issolated tank with no gravel ) I could n't do it and did not feel like moving them

to another tank as they may get depressed and then nothing........

My Angel laid eggs on the Feb01, so in the main tank heavily planted ... they laid roughly about 400+ eggs, right after about 40 hours or so the batch

developped mold due to few unfertilized eggs and started Spreading, the pair waited for the night as they were getting distracted from us so in the night

they moved the salvageable eggs ( lost 30% ) on the sword plant and clean the place up so in the morning there was no mold in the tank (not sure what

they did.. eat it i guess)

Both Parents took great care of the wigglers -- Point to Note: Once the Eggs are laid Do Not Turn the lights off (for two + weeks) otherwise they will eat

them fearing other fish might eat them. Once hatched and become free swimmers (Don't feed them for first 2 days as they will still have yolks in the tummy

also I fed them "Hakaris First Bites" for the first 2 weeks as newly hatched brine shrimps were to big for them. Quite a few of the fry got stuck in the gravel and died -- felt really bad.

Also Just before the fry became free swimmers the female chased the male out of the picture (male's face was bloody and had to be removed from the tank)

The female alone took great care of the fry did not sleep and ate very little roughly after third week (free swimming stage) we started turning off the light but added a

side table lamp. Only roughly 25% (healthy and strong) of the fry survived.

once they are about 5 weeks from free swimmers (Mar 14th or so) we will move the fry out and female will be re-united with the male in an empty tank.....

Z