Crystal Red Shrimp

Ron

Thanks everyone.

My wife definitely has a steadier hand than I, it's pretty challenging to photograph these guys.

I can't wait till I move and have a stable set up for a while, then I may dare to upgrade to a very small group of JPRL......oh dare to dream.

Ron

Nice picture, looks like a high grade of crystal shrimp, I think at least ss

Thanks.

It was sold as a SSS Crown. Definitely not a top SSS but way less red on the tail and head than a SS Hinomaru or SS Hinomaru No Entry. I'll try and get better examples of SSS Crowns and Flowers I have.

Ron

Hey Ron, what's a JPRL?

Japanese Pure Red Line. It's believe that most CRS available have been crossed with other shrimp to create a whiter shrimp faster so intense line breeding could be avoided. JPRL are a pure line than has been line bred and the white sections are very thick white with no cracks. Even with highend CRS, the white sections will have translucent cracks. JPRLs have been severly line bred and are very sensitive, they should be only for advanced shrimp keepers. You won't see many offered in Canada as my breeder sends most of his back to Japan for auction. Even a SS grade JPRL will be $450+ and I believe $2000 wouldn't be out of the question for a SSS+ Flower with white legs. I would love to have them but I need more time under my belt and I want a set up running for quite a while before I take the plunge. So once I move I think I will set up a pretty nice planted tank and save up for a small group.

Ron

Where did you get that ss ? someone in Calgary?

Not in Calgary, Vancouver and it's a SSS :)

Here are a couple more, first one I would consider a Flower and the second a Crown. Second isn't the clearest but the timing was funny.

Edited by Ron

very nice indeed!

Thanks.

very jealous. so when you breed them... ;) save a couple for me :) they are so cute!!!

Amy

Right now I hope I can keep them alive, as the grading goes up so do their sensitivity. I know people in Calgary have adapted their Grade A CRS to Calgary tap water, my set up is 80% RO and I don't think I'll ever risk changing the ratio and messing with the GH. The breeder even said that the SSS+ Crowns and Flowers were more delicate than SSS. I will definitely let you know if they do breed for me.

Ron