Green Terror Tank Help

newbie2

hello all,

Around New Years I had a tank crash in my 90g Angel tank in which I lost a couple plecos, angel, and a group of Congos and am thinking of starting out fresh with a male green terror. Those humps are wicked. Gorgeous fish. I was wondering what kind of tank mates would be possible for a tank this size. Right now the tank is planted but I am not too worried about the plants. At worst I can feed them to my other 90g which has silver dollars in with an Oscar. The SD's would appreciate it. haha.

I realize that its basically a 75 with some headroom so I am not sure if its possible to put another cichlid in there(?) If so what have you guys had luck with?

The other route would be dither fish. I already have silver dollars as I said so would be looking for something new. The 90g in question currently has a YoYo and some guppies in it along with a few neon tetras. I have some smaller tanks to move these fish into.

I've had luck raising male GT's with most african and south american chichlids... just don't add a female ... once they lay eggs they attack anything in range... and put the run on the much larger male as well. I've had a female GT attack my hand when working on a tank.

Never tried to add smaller chichlids to a larger male GT's so no idea how that will workout. I'd definitely re-shuffle the tank decorations as you add the new fish, that may jumble the territories enough to reduce aggression.

Good luck!

In looking online it seems that any other cichlid of size in the 90g would pretty much be a crap shoot even if I start them both small. I would rather not have to yank one or the other out of the tank later. I'm thinking the responsible thing would be to just put some dithers in and pamper him...

I saw a post on MFK of a guy saying he was trying to use sailfin mollies as dithers, kind of makes sense as they would be dithers/feeders. Any one else tried this? Or any other Dither fish to try in 90g other than SD's?

PS. Have you seen any good looking GT's for sale in Alberta, preferably Edm?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had pretty good luck with using Tinfoil barbs as dithers. And I also once had a full grown male GT in a standard 90, I eventually added a larger juvenile demspsey to the mix, I put a large piece of drift in the middle to attempt to segregate them a little bit. I also kept the tank stocked with home grown feeder minnows for the first week so that the GT noticed the JD was there but was ultimately distracted by the feeders. It worked well and within 2 weeks they were living harmoniously. Hope this helps! GT`s are great fish to keep, have any pictures of him?