Angelfish In A Community Tank

Caprichoso

I have a 140g with various tetras, gourami, glass cats, corydoras, m & f betta and rock shrimp. There are also may plants in the tank. Is it possible to keep a couple of angelfish peacefully in there? So far, the bettas are doing great with the other fish and no one is fighting. Maybe I'm pushing my luck with wanting to add the angels and I won't do it unless I get positive feedback. Just want to hear some opinions from those of you that have kept them or if certain types are better in a community tank. Please, I want to know if any of you have mature angelfish in a community tank, not just young ones(I know many fish will show aggression when they get older and I don't want to have to get rid of it later).

Thanks for your help!!

Capri

I had a couple altums in a 54 with some clown loaches on the bottom and have tried a few smaller fish. Cardinal tetras become instant snacks for the altums as do neon tetras. The black neon tetra's have been left alone. Just added some odessa barbs and everyone is getting along just swimmingly at the moment. There is also a smaller dwarf gourami in there as well.

The only hiccup was when the altum that is still in the tank started turning the other one into a punching bag. They are now separated but i suppose i will need to find a better home for the now healed and happier altum that was removed from that tank.

Edited by jzz30tt

I have 2 mated pairs in separate community tanks with swordtails, mollies, plecos, cories and harlequin rasboras. Everyone seems to get along okay other than the angels do chase some of the fish. As both pairs are mated, I don't dare add in any other angels as three's a crowd....

I had a couple altums in a 54 with some clown loaches on the bottom and have tried a few smaller fish. Cardinal tetras become instant snacks for the altums as do neon tetras. The black neon tetra's have been left alone. Just added some odessa barbs and everyone is getting along just swimmingly at the moment. There is also a smaller dwarf gourami in there as well.

The only hiccup was when the altum that is still in the tank started turning the other one into a punching bag. They are now separated but i suppose i will need to find a better home for the now healed and happier altum that was removed from that tank.

Yeah, I don't want my beautiful cardinals to end up as snacks so I don't think I'm going to chance it. Unless, there is a type of angel that doesn't get really big? Anyone know?

• 4 weeks later...

i kept a huge silver ghost veil angel in with a varied assortment of community fish, snails, and some red cherry shrimp for a couple years with no issues. even perugiae limia fry (a small livebearer) survived and thrived. mind you, my angel was super placid. it's possible the angel may have picked off a few shrimp, but i never did see him near the bottom hunting them.

on a side note, i'd separate your male and female betta - it's just taking too much of a risk housing them together all the time, even in a large tank.

i kept a huge silver ghost veil angel in with a varied assortment of community fish, snails, and some red cherry shrimp for a couple years with no issues. even perugiae limia fry (a small livebearer) survived and thrived. mind you, my angel was super placid. it's possible the angel may have picked off a few shrimp, but i never did see him near the bottom hunting them.

on a side note, i'd separate your male and female betta - it's just taking too much of a risk housing them together all the time, even in a large tank.

Thanks for the info. I understand your concern about the Betta but the female actually likes the male and will seek him out sometimes. On occasion the male with follow her and display for her but when she's had enough, she swims away and he doesn't pursue her with too much vigour. I've always had a lot of success with Betta in a community tank but realize that there can be issues. If things were to get out of hand or it looked like someone was unhappy, I would move them to my other tank.