Marineland Stealth Heater Pro Recall

Crystal

Marineland is recalling the Stealth Pro heaters 100-350. I am not sure if this applies to the older "non-pro" models, though one person said it did.

This is part of an email I got last week:

"Marineland is currently investigating a potential quality issue with respect to certain models of the Stealth Pro Heater line. As a result of these issues Marineland has suspended sales of the 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 watt models of the Stealth Pro Submersible Heater line."

Just in case you happen to have one running (I happen to have one running which I will have to unplug).

It's not exactly a recall, and yes, it does affect their older heaters as well.

You can read the letter to their distributors here:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/14/marineland-stealth-pro-heaters-recall/

and more here:

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/equipment-talk-section-14/get-your-stealth-pro-heaters-out-12475/

I just recently had an older Stealth leak stray current/voltage in my tank (tripped my GFCI breaker), and IMO all of the newer Stealth Pro models are ticking time bombs. I have seen several lot #'s besides the ones that Marineland has posted in their letter above, have serious issues, including blowing up in various peoples tanks.

Yes I have read several accounts of peoples Stealth Pro heaters exploding, destroying their whole tank and causing massive water damage to their houses from Aquatic Plant Central and The Planted Tank.

Jay - if you read the link on BCA it will provide you with pretty much everything that you need to know on the subject. (as well as some ph #'s for Marineland) I didn't want a cheap glass replacement so I pulled all of my older Stealths, and my fairly new Pro, and tossed them all. All of mine were listed on the distributor list linked to above, and as previously stated there are other Lot #'s affected that are not currently on that list.

Marineland has known about this for at least a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one I purchased in Nov 2010. As I didn't want the hassle of calling Marineland, sending in for replacement etc. I just went to LFS where I bought it and they gave me credit of what I paid towards a different heater. I went with the Rena (300W), even though it is discontinued, as it is small for the wattage and un breakable.

Darrell