Rope Fish

peckham125

Hi is was at Big Als about to buy a Rope Fish when the lady said " pre warning these guys will grow really big and when they do they will eat anything in your tank including your fish "

does anyone own any of these ? and could you give me more info on them?

I had a group of five in a heavily planted 65G in the gf's elementary classroom. They did well for a few years and grew to over 18" each. They really enjoyed weaving themselves between heavily overgrown valliseneria and stargrass and ate floating pellets from the surface of the water. It took a few weeks to get them conditioned to surface feeding but after that they were always ready for dinner. I found them to be somewhat slow eaters, they tended to feel around for food rather than strike. I imagine they would do well hunting small fish at night.

They are escape artists and will exit the tank if given the opportunity. I'd had to replace a few adventuresome ones over the years as they exploit any opening. They also do best in small groups as opposed to being alone.

Unfortunately the tank crashed last fall and the entire group was lost.

I imagine I'll replace the group eventually, how much was BA's asking for them?

• 3 months later...