Festivum's Have Eggs!

nanmer

Festivum are my favorite fish. They are so personal and often sit by my head when I read on the sofa. While researching them, I discovered they are quite difficult to breed. I purchased three from Harold and was content to enjoy them. A few days ago I noticed two of them doing "the dance" in the fake plants. I put a partition in the tank, but held out little hope. Two days ago, I noticed eggs on a rock. I did some research and read that often they lay eggs but the females are poor moms and do not tend the eggs. My female has not left them and is very attentive. They are due to hatch soon. I don't want to count my Festivum before they hatch, but everything is looking so good! My only concern is that the eggs are on a fake plant mat that is about 2" deep. I hope that the fry don't get lost in it and the parents give up. Keeping my fingers so crossed they are beginning to hurt!

It looks like the eggs have hatched. I can't see any babies but mom is guarding the bottom like a tiger. I have gravel on the bottom and I hold out hope that the babies don't get squished. Now that I know I have a breeding pair, I will set up the tank the right way. I have a 50 gallon tank that I plan on making a planted tank, with sand. Of course the stars of the tank will be my festivum!