Video: White Ct Spwaning

Sierra

Betta spawning process in SHORT for those who don't know...

1. Male & female kept separate..until male builds nice, big bubble nest

2. female is released and eventually approaches nest to mate

3. they embrace (lots) and float/sink..female comes out of the embrace (temporary paralysis) -->drops eggs

4. male (&female depending) collect eggs and put in nest

5. no more embracing.. (removal of female)

5. male will tend to nest replacing any dropped eggs until avg day 3 when the babies are free swimming upon which time he too is removed

Here is a video of my new white crowntail male and his girlfriend having a go. Yeah...I taped it..it is interesting to those who have never seen.

Sorry for the bad video job! I stuck a few shortened clips together. *this is kinda in the middle/end of it all so she is spilling less eggs

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x444/sierra0071/?action=view&current=Betta-EmbracesWCT.mp4

nice! that 'slow motion' part where they are locked together and sinking (i know it's in real time, lol) is awesome!

just a note, the water level should be a lot lower than that, less than half the tank, and there shouldn't be any substrate, since the eggs can get stuck in there and it makes it much harder for daddy betta to pick them up and put them in the nest. plus, a bare bottom tank is so much easier to keep clean when you are feeding fry multiple times a day.

good luck with them!

Edited by BettaFishMommy

My problems have always been after all the eggs hatch and they are on their own. (free swimming). This is the first time I haven't used bare bottom it was half on accident but actually I can't believe they picked all the eggs up (team effort I guess) but now..

There are way way too many hatchlings now so he is staying very busy...it is okay if i loose some.

The water level i haven't had trouble yet, all vertical swimming babies are swimming right up to the top again (although i dunno how many times they can do that). It looks deeper than it is I think. It's only a 5 gallon and from what I read it was suggested water level be at half a ten gallon. (thoughts?) I was thinking of making a shelf so I can keep the amount of water for stability.

Previous spawns have never made it farther than a few weeks because of water stability and food supply problems. I'm putting more effort into it this time and hope to raise them to maturity however I am moving at the end of April so that will probably be a bit of a problem. Also I have live food this time (thank you jason!).

I'm pretty excited it has been some time biggrin.gif LOL

daily water changes are the key! and make a 'lid' on your tank of saran wrap, to keep the humidity in, because the fry need the humidity for their developing labyrinth organs.

if your fry make it this time, and you are going to sell them, i'll definitely take a female or two for my planted 55 :)

daily water changes are the key! and make a 'lid' on your tank of saran wrap, to keep the humidity in, because the fry need the humidity for their developing labyrinth organs.

if your fry make it this time, and you are going to sell them, i'll definitely take a female or two for my planted 55 :)

It's hard to change the water without scooping them. I will put on the saran wrap tonight. Thanks! I think I will have to be getting rid of them early before I move if lots make it. Hopefully lets see that's 6 weeks. About right no??? Hey are you going to the auction on Sunday? I reallllllly want to go but need to get an extension on a paper tomorrow. SO much work this weekend cry1.gif (haha and of course i'm on here lol....it's break time...shifty.gif)

i can't make it to the auction :( have a family birthday party to go to. first auction i'll have missed since the big Sands hotel show!

as for not sucking up fry while doing water changes - wrap a piece of old pantyhose around the end of your gravel vac or hose, secure it with a rubber band, and start up your siphon. you won't get as much muck out of the tank this way, but it means your fry won't go for a tube ride, lol.