Anubias Turning Into Mush

GRIMM

I picked up a ton of anubias from the auction, and now the leaves are limp and turning into mush. I have never had any problem with anubias before, and I thought their care was relatively simple. I have them in a 15 gallon tank filled with tap water, a circulation pump, and a fluorescent light above. any advice would be helpful, as I dont want to loose 50$ worth of plant. I have an RO system, so if need be I can give them freashly filtered water. Didnt think they would need it though.

Now I switched them over into my vivarums, with the leaves out of water, and the roots submerged in nutrient rich tannin water (80-90% humidity). I currently have 3 species growing fine in the vivs, so hopefully they stop degrading. Still wanting suggestions badly though!

Weird, even when Anubias isn't doing well it usually takes forever to go mushy ... unless it was frozen. Cryptocorynes yes ... they'll turn to jello right before your eyes sometimes. I would suspect that even if you lose a bunch of leaves, as long as the rhizomes stay intact they'll recover, it might just take a while. Just keep that humidity up there.

the only thing i can think of is that the anubias was grown in a kh much different then your tap water...maybe ro water....

this is a dumb question but did you burry the rhizome?....

Is the rhizome soft or mushy too?...

As long as the rhizome is good shape the plant should recover..

Freezing could also be the cause...Im not sure if it can recover from that...

I know of someone who forgot their giant A. barteri in the car one winter night. When they got out there in the morning, they realised their folly and tossed it in the tank before heading to work... I heard that story about 12 years ago, and the plant is still alive!

I agree with the other guys, as long as the rhizome is good, it should pull through.

Thanks for all the help guys. The main stalks appear to be fine so hopefully they bounce back over time. I dont think it could have froze that fast during the 30 minute drive home. I had the heater on and all the bags were grouped together inside the aquarium I bought. Time will tell I guess. It seams most of the small leaves are the ones that have been affected the worst. Im assuming all the new growth is less resilient to change compared with the mature heathier leaves.

Just keep in mind that the rhisome is money. As long as it is in good shape you still have the plant. Same with crypts. The plant could have been grown emmersed or under high light and co2 or any other conditions and it could be shocked very much by the change. I pulled an anubias nana and tied it to driftwood above the water where all the leave promptly dried to a crisp, but now it is sprouting new ones. Just don't throw them out! I just bought about $140 worth of crypts and I have about 5 leaves left. It sucks, but I know they are melting and will come back. It's happened to me many times. Don't think you killed them until there is an empty tank for a looooong time.