Pleco Poop!

Jayba

I have always known that plecos are very efficient at turning whatever enters their mouth into feces. A constant stream of crap from them at about 1mm per minute. 8 plecos in a tank, this makes for a ton of shite buildup. How do people deal with this? And please don't say over filtration. There is a constant swirling mass in a low flow spot. I just vac it out once a day. Am I just anal, or should I just let it be? eventually it will make it's way through the filter after it dissolves into the water. How do others deal with this side effect of plecoholicism? (I made a new verb there, u see that?)

I have 3 pleco's around 8 inches in my tank and they crap alot too, but I just let it settle for my plants to absorb, and just vac 1x a week along with my water change....I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you do your maintenance once a week and its fine

Same here. I have 10 or 12 plecos in my 90 gallon and the poop is no problem. Then again I have about 3x the needed filtration and it's stuffed with plants. But I don't vacuum. I just do my 50% weekly water changes and I've had no issues. I still have to dose nitrates.

I have 3 pleco's around 8 inches in my tank and they crap alot too, but I just let it settle for my plants to absorb, and just vac 1x a week along with my water change....I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you do your maintenance once a week and its fine

Malaysian trumpet snails - eat anything including fish stuff and won't touch your plants. They act like earthworms under the substrate too so it won't pack down as much especially if you are using sand. I can't even remember the last time I had to vacuum the sand to get rid of anything or stir it to prevent gas build up. They are also livebearers which in my opinion is a bonus - no unsightly egg sacs along the water line. All you need for snail control is a fish that likes to dine on them like loaches.